Chicks from incubator to brooder

ChickChic00

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
When can I move 7 chicks from incubator to brooder? Hatched between 8-9 this morning, maybe a bit earlier. Its 6:30 same day, now.

They can be moved to the brooder as soon as they're dry. If you're waiting on more eggs to hatch then I would make sure none of them are pipped before opening the incubator but other than that you should be all set! Congrats on your hatch!

They can be moved to the brooder as soon as they're dry. If you're waiting on more eggs to hatch then I would make sure none of them are pipped before opening the incubator but other than that you should be all set! Congrats on your hatch!
Thank you so much! It's just the 7. The last one hatched around 2:50-3:00. They dont look completely dry though. I think I had humidity a bit too high. Im slowly letting it drop. I already have brooder set up and ready to go. I even have the heat lamp on right now, so that it will be warm when I move them.

Is it ok to put a water dispenser in the brooder?

Thank you so much! It's just the 7. The last one hatched around 2:50-3:00. They dont look completely dry though. I think I had humidity a bit too high. Im slowly letting it drop. I already have brooder set up and ready to go. I even have the heat lamp on right now, so that it will be warm when I move them.

:jumpyPerfect! Depending on the type of incubator you're using they might not dry out completely while still in there but as long as they're fluffed up so they don't get chilled.

Is it ok to put a water dispenser in the brooder?

I have always made water available to my chicks as soon as I transfer them to the brooder but there are some people that like to wait 24 hours. I have hatched over 100 chicks and I've never had a problem so I think as long as it's room temp water you should be just fine. :)

I have always made water available to my chicks as soon as I transfer them to the brooder but there are some people that like to wait 24 hours. I have hatched over 100 chicks and I've never had a problem so I think as long as it's room temp water you should be just fine. :)
Thank you!! Did you put any food in there as well? Chick crumble?

Also this is my first hatch. I bred my rir rooster with my isa brown and my australorp.

Thank you!! Did you put any food in there as well? Chick crumble?

Yes from the moment I move them to the brooder I put chick crumbles and water in with them. They don't always actively utilize it at first. They're sleepy babies from all that work hatching so they take their time. Tomorrow morning you'll find when you tap your finger on the crumbles or tap the side of the waterer they'll come over to investigate and catch on very quickly!

Back
Top Bottom