Chicks from the grab bag?

Janelyn

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Atwater California
I went in to Tractor Supply in March to buy my first pullets, how exciting. Well, they have a 6 chick minimum. They had 4 RIR left, but lots of cute balls of fluff in the "grab bag". I picked out 2, one solid white and the other with a small amount of black specks, Salt and Peppa.

6 months later, they are both hens, slightly smaller then the RIRs, laying medium size white eggs, but I still don't know their breed. Hope you all can help.

The first picture is Peppa and the second is Salt. Click on them to make them larger.

Well, howdy neighbor,

No, I only got the 4 RIR and the 2 white ones. Did you get any of the Silver laced Cochins? I but those are beautiful birds.

Thank you for your time.
Janelyn

I went in to Tractor Supply in March to buy my first pullets, how exciting. Well, they have a 6 chick minimum. They had 4 RIR left, but lots of cute balls of fluff in the "grab bag". I picked out 2, one solid white and the other with a small amount of black specks, Salt and Peppa.

6 months later, they are both hens, slightly smaller then the RIRs, laying medium size white eggs, but I still don't know their breed. Hope you all can help.

The first picture is Peppa and the second is Salt. Click on them to make them larger.

The one you named Salt is a White Leghorn or White Leghorn hybrid.

The one you named Peppa and said had black speckles may be a California White. They are produced with a California Gray rooster and a White Leghorn hen. I think the black speckles are more prominent when the chicken is a chick.
http://www.cacklehatchery.com/califwhitepage.html

The good news is these hens should be egg-laying machines.

How many eggs are they laying?

Back
Top Bottom