Chicks from the local feed store

Apopka Cluckers

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Is this a good place to get chicks? My local feed store has two "trays" of chicks tha the says are domineckers (sp?) and Ameraucanas (sp?) but they all look alike to me.

What are your experiences with getting chicks from the feed store?

He said that he orders them from Ideal and that I could place an order with them to get the chicks here and they would seperate them when they arrived. I think that this will cut down on the shipping costs considering that I only want around 10 hens. He is charging me 2.75$ per chick delivered to the store. Is that too pricey for Buffs or Australorps?

15.50$ for a 50lb bag of chick starter. Is that also going price for feed?

Thanks

I am not sure about the chicks from the feed store I have never bought any from there. I have ordered from ideal.

I bought a 25lb bag of medicated starter and grower for $8.50 at my feed store.

I have purchased all my chicks from the local feed store for two reasons: 1) if they die within 2 weeks they replace them and 2) if one turns out to be a roo, they take it and re-home it for you. I LOVE THAT!

ETA: None have died and none have been roo's....

Last edited:
I didn't even consider to ask about a return policy for sickness or if I got a roo.

That is a really good reason to get them there. They, at least, have a local presence and someone I can talk to face-to-face if there is a problem.

Thanks

Mine does not rehome any roosters. They get their 5000 chicks a year from Ideal. The other feedstore gets a lot less per year and they are from Privett, but they mislabel stuff, case in point below, the "Dominecker". That feedstore owner charges almost $4 per chick, but she gets sexed pullets almost exclusively.

And there is no such thing as a Dominecker, so they're showing they dont know much. If they have single combs, they're Barred Rocks. A Dominique has a rose comb. And you can bet your last nickel there are NO Amerauacanas there. They are Easter Eggers. Never in my life have I ever encountered a true Ameraucana at a feedstore.

All that being said, my original flock and a handful of others came from Ideal via the feedstore. For quality, I'd say go to a breeder. For eggs, they're fine.

Last edited:
Speckled Hen,

Does this mean that Ideal is mis-labelling their stock or that the feed store is.

I have heard from many people that it is very hard to get your hands on an Aruacana or Ameraucana but I have seen them advertised on just about every hatchery that mypetchicken.ccm lists. Is it a case of, they will never know any better?

I am wanting to get either BO's, Barred Rocks, or RIR. Is there something I should be looking for in a chick to ensure that I am not getting ripped off by the feed store.

Thanks

Yup, up until now I have gotten amost of my chicks at the "local" feed store. And have never had any problems. Once they get to know you, it'll be easier. Sounds like you are buying the "premium" brand, do a nutrient comparison to other brands they carry. Chicken feed is not "cheep". That old saw has gone away! And yes, feed stores are lax about breeds, they mix them all together!

Hey Debi, my feedstore rehomed 3 roos for me, charging $20.00 each for the Silver Laced Wyandottes I raised. I never saw a penny of it either! I switched feed stores. Humph!
rant.gif

My only problem with feed store chicks is that they order straight run alot. I've ended up with more roos than hens. I do order from Ideal alot and their shipping isn't that high. You can go online and do an order and see how much it would cost you to order your 10 hens. You may be surprised at the total cost. I was. I order atleast once a year from them.

Oooh, Judymae is right! Don't buy straight run chicks unless you want a lot of roos! Go for the pullets- I had to drive 65 miles last year for BR pullets, but at least no more roos!

Back
Top Bottom