Chicks getting stuck when hatching

suburbanfarm

Chirping
Jan 5, 2021
I've had a couple of chicks recently that have hatched with shell stuck on them, or have fully zipped the top and struggled to get out. It's like the shell has become absolutely glued to them.

Is this likely due to humidity or temp?

I've had a couple of chicks recently that have hatched with shell stuck on them, or have fully zipped the top and struggled to get out. It's like the shell has become absolutely glued to them.

Is this likely due to humidity or temp?
Humidity...

i just went through this. Here is a link to my thread; very helpful folks on there.

Thread 'Need help with another hatch... chick struggling'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-help-with-another-hatch-chick-struggling.1462471/

Humidity. If it’s gooey and dryish you might bump up your humidity a couple of percentage points. Keep in mind it could just be that those eggs could have been more porous than the others too and so would have lost more moisture during the earlier part of incubation.

What is your humidity during days 1-18?
To be honest I hadn't been watching it too closely because it'd been going really well over summer. It kept running about 50% when I added water, so I'd found that without water it was during between 30-40 and that seemed the best way.

But now the weather is cooling down I'll need to review what it's doing.

I incubate around 30% sometimes it gets closer to 20% and so i add a little water. I don't have any problems hatching, i usually get a good hatch rate even on shipped eggs.

I had this happen. Poor chick was fully zipped and had been trying to push out for 3 hours. I couldnt take it anymore and i pulled the egg out and the poor thing was glued to the shell in a few spots. I had chicks hatching for 24 hrs prior no prob but humidity must have been dropping off, or like someone else mentioned, maybe a more porous egg.

Back
Top Bottom