Chicks got too friendly

JupiterFarmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Palm Beach County
Today We let our month olds frolic in the florida sun and take dust baths. We got about half of our 28 that will come to your hand if your put it to their level and they'll also agreeable to being picked up.

But They mostly come because they know I might have a cricket or some other delectible lil tidbit for them.

Bad thing about this is that they're a bit nippy because of this. And will peck at feet demanding a bit of food.

Well I forgot to tell sister sister that they are pecky when you're in their lil fenced in area and not giving them food. She sat on a cement block and got her rear and feet pecked by our barred rocks constantly.

I think its cute they already are tame and know that we're their source of care.

Any one else have chicks who act a bit annoying with their friendliness?

My 6 week olds are still doing it. It is funny but sometimes it hurts!
barnie.gif
Spoiled rotten chickens!

I'm glad that they act that way but lil sister isn't XD. She says I taught em wrong.

I really hope that they don't try jumping on me when they're full grown though. When one of the bigger chicks did that when I was in a tank top, I had scratched up my back from it climbing up me x.x

LOL. Our little girl is the only one left that we raised since 5 days (now 8 mo old) now sits on our laps every time we go sit out back and sneeks in the house to try and lay.
She likes to think she is one of the dogs. She now has 2 other girls coming in the house.
hu.gif

The bad thing is if we don't let her in she just the fence to the front yard. And the neighbors won't like that.

All three of my Sebright hens jump up on my shoulder when I walk into the run and try to get to the bucket I am carrying, and Felix is always at my feet in my way Im gona accidently step on her one day. My polish chickens peck at everything and try to jump up on me but their alot bigger.

Yes, we raised our broods by handling them constantly and now they never cease with the pecking. I have a Polish who tends to stay close to me and, very smartly, follows around until I give her the goods. She's learned to know that I usually keep the treats in my pocket and pecking hurts. So now I'll be sitting outside, by myself, reading a magazine and feel something peck me hard in my leg. I'll look down and see her looking up, clucking, "Food?"
lol.png

I also have a broody who knows me as mom, because I give her her food and spend alot of time keeping her company when she broods, so now when I bring her out to get something to free-range for that few minutes a day, she'll peck me when she wants me to pick her up and put her back on the nest.
he.gif
Spoiled bird, like she couldn't get there herself.

Back
Top Bottom