Chicks hatched exactly the same day, completely different feather growth

oregonkat

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 5, 2012
Southern Oregon
The pics are of one of my female (sex linked) BCM x CCL chicks and a shipped BCM chick who I also believe to be female. Both hatched exactly the same day but my chick (and this goes for all of them, I hatched 4 of my own) seems to be so much further developed in the feather department, and size in general than some of the shipped ones. Is there a reason for this? They are all supposed to be standard size, no bantams. The first and third photos are of my chick.
IMG_8142.JPG
IMG_8144.JPG
IMG_8145.JPG
IMG_8147.JPG

Could be the difference between male and female. Some breeds, males feather slower.

Could also just be a normal variance. I had a bunch of buff chicks last year and there were two that feathered slower than the rest, the largest and the smallest.
Smallest.jpg
Big.jpg

Here is what most of the rest looked like at that point.
GC H2.jpg

Could be the difference between male and female. Some breeds, males feather slower.

Could also just be a normal variance. I had a bunch of buff chicks last year and there were two that feathered slower than the rest, the largest and the smallest.
View attachment 1300159 View attachment 1300161

Here is what most of the rest looked like at that point.
View attachment 1300160
Thank you. I thought as much. It will be interesting to see if these smaller chicks are indeed roos because the sure dont look like it to me but you never know.

I would maybe also contribute some to the parent health and diet?

Although, I had 4 chicks hatch under a broody last October, one chick was bald for a couple of months! I thought it would die honestly. All 4 chicks I thought were from the same parents (slight possibility that another hen had laid, but a couple were brooding and some were molting, I thought only one was laying)
Anyway, long story shortened, all 4 turned out to be beautiful pullets. :confused:

I would maybe also contribute some to the parent health and diet?

Although, I had 4 chicks hatch under a broody last October, one chick was bald for a couple of months! I thought it would die honestly. All 4 chicks I thought were from the same parents (slight possibility that another hen had laid, but a couple were brooding and some were molting, I thought only one was laying)
Anyway, long story shortened, all 4 turned out to be beautiful pullets. :confused:
Yes on the parent health and diet. My hens are spoiled rotten and look it, as is my rooster and all the chicks that are mine are significantly bigger than the shipped eggs. I got the eggs from two different breeders so I dont know which chick is which as I only marked mine as mine which was a silly thing to do in retrospect. Anyway, thanks for the response, aren't your BCM x CCL eggs about to pop?

Mine were full BCMs. The last one just kicked out 5 minutes ago. I received 18 eggs shipped, one quit very early, although I didn't find it till lockdown. Embryo was about the size of a pea, so i guess maybe day 5ish. The other 17 hatched! :yesss:
Thanks for asking!

Now I have CCLs going in their place in the incubator. :p

Mine were full BCMs. The last one just kicked out 5 minutes ago. I received 18 eggs shipped, one quit very early, although I didn't find it till lockdown. Embryo was about the size of a pea, so i guess maybe day 5ish. The other 17 hatched! :yesss:
Thanks for asking!

Now I have CCLs going in their place in the incubator. :p
WOW.... that is what I call a successful shipped eggs hatch, my friend. Congratulations! :woot What incubator do you use? Oh and were your eggs shipped long distance?

WOW.... that is what I call a successful shipped eggs hatch, my friend. Congratulations! :woot What incubator do you use? Oh and were your eggs shipped long distance?

Thanks. I'm tickled to death.
Those were done in a Brinsea Octagon 20. Partially in my Eco model, then locked down in the Advance model with humidity pump. Shipped from SC to WV, so not terribly far, but a few air cells were pretty wonky for a while!

I have more eggs coming to me from within the state of Oregon because I refuse to order eggs further than a state away. I am still expecting only about a 70% hatch but maybe I'll get lucky this time. Do you keep all your chicks or do you sell them?

Back
Top Bottom