Chicks hatching, paper towel underneath got wet

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluckcluck42, May 13, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Title basically says it all, my chicks are on Day 20 and pipping. The temps dropped to 92 for at least 8 hours, probably much more (went to bed, temps were at 100, woke up, temps were dropped at 92, didnt get back up to 100 for another 2-3 hours after that). I was freaking and peaking today thinking the babies must be dead and lo and behold they all started hatching early. Hope they all make it. [​IMG]

Anyways, I use a turkey baster to put hot water into the bator. I move the lid a tiny bit to one side, and put the water in the tray. Well, this hatch I decided to use paper towel under the eggs to help with clean up and somehow ALL of it is now wet from the trays underneath. All of the paper towel is wet. Should I do anything, move the eggs and put dry towel in (or just remove the wet paper towel) or will they be fine?

Happy hatching everyone. [​IMG]

2. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I wouldn't do anything at this point. Your most important thing right now is to keep the temp and humidity right while hatching. The paper towel probably bothers you but not the chicks. They are used to the water in the shell and are in a very warm environment.

3. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Thanks, I needed to hear that. I go through all kinds of bad things in my head whenever any small thing goes wrong. I am getting better, I swear. (Wonder what will happen if I ever have kids, geez!)

4. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Hope your hatch goes well!!!

P.S. Love the turkey baster idea! It would probably be great if you wanted to quickly remove some water too!

5. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Many people even mist their eggs after pipping just to make sure the membrane is moist enough to break.

As long as the humidiy isn't too high you should be all set.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by