Chicks hatching!

petfood

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 27, 2010
So my mother hen has been on the eggs about 20 days and when I came out to check on her I saw a shell and a baby chicks head peep out from under her! Yay, they are hatching. Of course she wont let me get close enough to see how many hatched. So my question is how long should I give her to finish hatching the chicks out? Also She is in a box that has a slight lip, will the chicks be able to come out with mom to eat the chick food ok? Its not very high, but not sure how well the chicks will be able to get around. She is also in a crate that is inside the coop. So after they all hatch how soon can mom and chicks be let loose with the rest of the flock? So I am totally excited when I saw the first chick pop its head out! Please advise
Diana

So my mother hen has been on the eggs about 20 days and when I came out to check on her I saw a shell and a baby chicks head peep out from under her! Yay, they are hatching. Of course she wont let me get close enough to see how many hatched. So my question is how long should I give her to finish hatching the chicks out? Also She is in a box that has a slight lip, will the chicks be able to come out with mom to eat the chick food ok? Its not very high, but not sure how well the chicks will be able to get around. She is also in a crate that is inside the coop. So after they all hatch how soon can mom and chicks be let loose with the rest of the flock? So I am totally excited when I saw the first chick pop its head out! Please advise
Diana
can i see a photo of your set up? how many hens and roosters do you have in that pin? she’ll get off the eggs when it’s time. she knows if there are duds or not.

20200607_102613.jpg

So this is where she is, I saw three chicks hatched. One egg is still hatching. 21 days is tomorrow. We are thinking maybe we should take chicks after a couple days? Raise them ourselves?

So this is where she is, I saw three chicks hatched. One egg is still hatching. 21 days is tomorrow. We are thinking maybe we should take chicks after a couple days? Raise them ourselves?
your setup looks perfect. you can also take them from her if you want to do it that way.

:jumpy :celebrate :wee congrats on your first hatch! Enjoy!

Your set up looks fine. Your broody seems to be doing a fine job, and I would let her carry on. She instinctively knows what to do, and knows better than we do for sure :)

You can help her best by facilitating; providing clean food, water and bedding, which you have done.

And you've provided a safe space within the coop so that integration should be smooth; the rest of the flock will be interested, but are not normally a threat to chicks raised in the flock by a broody. If you take them away, you'll have to integrate them later, and they will be attacked if you don't get that right.

Well should I just leave them in the crate with mom then? Not sure if it would be to cramped.

Well should I just leave them in the crate with mom then? Not sure if it would be to cramped.
it saves any disturbance from the other flock members while the hatch is ongoing (and the chicks need to rest after hatching), but once she brings them out of the nest box, you could just open the door and she'll lead them out when she thinks they're ready.

Well 8 out of 10 eggs hatched. 7 survived. Something got to the one of the chicks, we do have small slits in the crate, so I think a rat or some Small rodent did something. So I separated the 7 chicks they seem to be adjusting fine in the building with me taking care of them. Now I just need to get that momma to not be broody anymore. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom