Chicks Have Arrived at Feed Store - Pick Up Now or Give It a Day?

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello friends!

I just got the call that the chicks I put on hold have arrived at our local feed store. Can I go pick them up today or should I wait a day for them to settle after the shipping? It's going to be so hard for me to wait one more day. I'd love to go today. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

So are these chicks already sold to you? AKA- being kept separate from the other chicks that are available to anyone who walks into the store? You mine as well go pick them up. Put some electrolytes and probiotics in their water if you can (I like the Sav-A-Chick brand). Make sure to dip all of their beaks in water and keep an eye on them to make sure they are eating, drinking, and aren't developing pasty butt.

Go get them. I've heard of letting shipped eggs settle for a day but never chicks.
What would the point be? To let them settle then unsettle them all over again. I'm confused.

For someone who planned ahead and ordered the chicks, and who has a properly set up brooder, I agree that picking the chicks up now is a good idea.

But for a feed store selling chicks, there might be good reasons to let the chicks settle for a day before selling them.

--Any chicks that die during the first day would do it in the store, meaning less unhappy customers coming back for refunds.

--The chicks would get warmed and fed before they go home with possibly-clueless new owners. This would be especially important if the new owners bought the chicks on impulse, and planned to take the chicks home and THEN set up a brooder (meaning the chicks would spend even more time sitting in a box cold, hungry, and thirsty. That's more tolerable if they had a day of being warm and fed first.)

Hello friends!

I just got the call that the chicks I put on hold have arrived at our local feed store. Can I go pick them up today or should I wait a day for them to settle after the shipping? It's going to be so hard for me to wait one more day. I'd love to go today. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Pick up ASAP! ❤️
Make sure you have everything ready & set up for them, get more stuff while there. Chicks love a hand full of mealworms & that helps them bond with you.
20210906_174006.jpg 20210902_213839.jpg 20210922_165155.jpg 20210903_111645.jpg
20210902_152359.jpg

Last edited:
Pick them up as soon as possible. They've already gone through the stress of shipping and will do best settled into their new home.
Agree!! I picked up some ducks from TSC store the day they got them in. When I called before going, the guy first told me they had to wait a day before they could sell them but someone behind him corrected him and said they were good to go. I assumed maybe some of the feed stores had a 24 hr rule after shipping but I agree, why settle them to stress them again! Plus, I wouldn’t be able to wait either out of excitement haha! Go get them!! And post pics

Back
Top Bottom