chicks have pecked the feathers from each other

osagebill88

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Osage Co
I was given some Cuckoo Marans today but they had pecked almost every single feather from one another. They were kept in a small area. What is the best way to nurse them back to health and prevent future pecking

High quality food (flock raiser or similar)- feathers need protein to be made, lots of space- free range is ideal, lots of things to do (hay to scratch in, veggies to pick at, ect), any open wounds need to be addressed, check CAREFULLY for lice and mites which might make them self-pick, sit nearby and see if there is a single perp--- if only one is being a feather shredder, then consider culling her- as bad habits can be very hard to break.

Feather picking causes in a nutshell- bored & crowded chickens, not enough food or poor quality food, external parasites. If you are not sure of the cause, then do your best to address all three possibilities.

Yup, what mypickledbird said. Consider some protein supplement for a while as they need protein to grow feathers.

Since I have been watching them they have not pecked at one another. I have them in a good sized pen . They have been here for about 8 hrs. Maybe they were just overcrowded at their former home because they are not skinny.

They will also peck if they are too hot, too crowded and bored. Everyone gave great advice. Make sure they have high quality chick crumbles, fresh water, chick grit and fresh air. Sounds like you have the TLC covered. Heres hoping they get better soon!!

Back
Top Bottom