chicks have pecked the feathers from each other

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by osagebill88, Aug 5, 2009.

1. osagebill88

osagebill88 Songster

Mar 15, 2008
    Osage Co
    I was given some Cuckoo Marans today but they had pecked almost every single feather from one another. They were kept in a small area. What is the best way to nurse them back to health and prevent future pecking

2. Galaxiedriver

Galaxiedriver Songster

Apr 25, 2009
    Mid Missouri
    Sounds like they may have run out of food. They must have food at all times or they may make each other food.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Give them plenty of space, and perhaps some roosts. I've noticed feather picking in chicks starts to happen with crowded conditions & lack of food.

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    High quality food (flock raiser or similar)- feathers need protein to be made, lots of space- free range is ideal, lots of things to do (hay to scratch in, veggies to pick at, ect), any open wounds need to be addressed, check CAREFULLY for lice and mites which might make them self-pick, sit nearby and see if there is a single perp--- if only one is being a feather shredder, then consider culling her- as bad habits can be very hard to break.

Feather picking causes in a nutshell- bored & crowded chickens, not enough food or poor quality food, external parasites. If you are not sure of the cause, then do your best to address all three possibilities.

5. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yup, what mypickledbird said. Consider some protein supplement for a while as they need protein to grow feathers.

6. You can try the anti peck spray on them. I think it is like a tar oil/spray. The dark color will deter the others from pecking them. Chickens like the red of the bare back.

7. osagebill88

osagebill88 Songster

Mar 15, 2008
    Osage Co
    Since I have been watching them they have not pecked at one another. I have them in a good sized pen . They have been here for about 8 hrs. Maybe they were just overcrowded at their former home because they are not skinny.

8. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    They will also peck if they are too hot, too crowded and bored. Everyone gave great advice. Make sure they have high quality chick crumbles, fresh water, chick grit and fresh air. Sounds like you have the TLC covered. Heres hoping they get better soon!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: