chicks, hens & feed.

fostermom55

Songster
7 Years
Jun 10, 2016
When you put new chicks in with older chickens what do you do about the chick feed. I lost 2 hens this spring and the necropsy said they had health issues caused by being too fat. I was told no more treats. So with that being said, my chicks still need chick starter, but my older hens do not. Am I just going to have to wait until they are 16 weeks to integrate them? What have others done? In the past I just let my older hens eat with the chicks.

When you put new chicks in with older chickens what do you do about the chick feed. I lost 2 hens this spring and the necropsy said they had health issues caused by being too fat. I was told no more treats. So with that being said, my chicks still need chick starter, but my older hens do not. Am I just going to have to wait until they are 16 weeks to integrate them? What have others done? In the past I just let my older hens eat with the chicks.
Switch to all flock, and offer calcium shells (like crushed oyster or eggshells) to the hens, Or seperate the chicks and put them into a brooder. I hope this helps and congrats on the chickies!”

I'm feeding my chicks 20% Purina Flock Raiser, and they will all stay on that--roos and hens--all their lives. I'll have oyster shell for the hens, but that's it. The chicks are healthy and growing like weeds.

Here's the chick's. Right now they are on nutriena medicated chick starter 18%.

Attachments

• 20220427_160131.jpg
    20220427_160131.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom