Chicks in coop. Upset Babies!

Blooie! Was hoping you'd chime in. If temps drop into the 30s will they still be okay without heat? We do have a few colder nights coming up over the next week or so.

I was just kinda poking around and stumbled in! :lau If you know me, you know that I’m a little...um...well...heartless. I believe in letting them be outside ASAP, letting them play in the dirt, eat bugs, and drink out of mud puddles. Oh, wait - we’re talking about chicks, not my grandkids, right? :oops:

I think you already know what my answer is going to be. I put my first ones out at 5.5 weeks and it was in the twenties. It was April 1st. I did give them a heat lamp (gulp, did I just admit that?) but after the second day I took it out. That night it snowed, and we didn’t get our last snowfall until June 6th. They thrived. Do the math..if I’d waited until the thermometer and the charts told me it was “safe” to put them out, they’d have been 17.5 weeks old and still living in the house. I’d have darn near had eggs being laid in the brooder.

If it makes you feel better, put them out with a lamp for a couple of days, but I don’t think they really need it. This constant need for light is one of the reasons I love Mama Heating so much. They learn day/night cycles from day 1, and wean themselves off heat by 4 weeks because they have the ability to self regulate their own needs, and they just know when they don’t need it anymore. Good luck!

Last edited:
My first batch of chicks was also addicted to the light and had days of fits when I exchanged the red lamp with a heat emitting bulb with no light. I had to turn off the lights in the house in a certain order or they would freak and all crowd together in one corner knocking over their drinker and feed. grrr. The next batch I had on the red lamp for two nights (they were shipped and I wanted them to be able to eat and drink during the night to regain strength) and then switched them to the emitters right away. They were so much easier! I will always go for dark and bed times now, from very early on.
In your case: you just have to be tough now. They will get used to it. Just don’t go out and check :)

I totally get it. I just hate the thought of my chicks 'suffering'. Lol. I know they aren't, but it's hard. Trust me, I'm ready to have my spare bedroom back! I will put them out this afternoon, and that's where they'll stay. Our old coop was farther from the house, and I don't believe I went out to check the babies after dark, hence, they stayed out. They went out at 3 weeks with a heat lamp, and did fine. I have a much smaller coop now, (ongoing project), so a heat lamp is not something I'd consider. I have an extra Ecoglow, but don't see the point in putting it out there, they haven't used it in weeks. I think what I'll do is put them out and tear down the brooder. Then they CAN'T come back in! Tough love! Thanks guys as always, great advice.

Back
Top Bottom