Chicks in new bedding video! Funny!

HudokFarm

Songster
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Minnesota
We moved our 3-week old chicks to a new pen in our basement last week when they outgrew the brooder I built for them. Last night we put new bedding in. Within one minute of the new bedding being laid, no fewer than 8 chicks threw themselves down for rigorous dustbathing. One chick was almost completely buried she dug herself in so deep. I started filming this video about 5 minutes after the initial dustbaths commenced. At one point, at least half of our 26 chicks were dustbathing. This continued for about half an hour longer than the video before all the chicks collapsed into a coma-nap. These chicks are just too funny!

Sorry for the poor color of the video, the red lights make it hard for my phone to get a decent video. Enjoy!

How fun! Isn't it amazing all the things they know to do without anyone showing them how to do them? Makes you wonder what we're all hard-wired to do that we ignore or don't notice.....

My 10 chicks did the same thing when I moved them into the coop with 3" of fresh pine shavings....very fun to watch the dust bathing antics.

Billyb, I had problems figuring out how to do that as well. If you go to your Community Profile (I get there by clicking on my username in the upper right-hand corner of the page), scroll down to Your Forum Signature and just below you can click on "Edit Signature Text". This will open up an area where you can type in a signature line.

Okay, thanks I figured it out, but it was tricky... Haha, I thought you had to go to edit community page or something but it was just all the way on the bottom... :)

Back
Top Bottom