Chicks in new bedding video! Funny!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HudokFarm, Mar 29, 2012.

1. HudokFarm

HudokFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Minnesota
    We moved our 3-week old chicks to a new pen in our basement last week when they outgrew the brooder I built for them. Last night we put new bedding in. Within one minute of the new bedding being laid, no fewer than 8 chicks threw themselves down for rigorous dustbathing. One chick was almost completely buried she dug herself in so deep. I started filming this video about 5 minutes after the initial dustbaths commenced. At one point, at least half of our 26 chicks were dustbathing. This continued for about half an hour longer than the video before all the chicks collapsed into a coma-nap. These chicks are just too funny!

Sorry for the poor color of the video, the red lights make it hard for my phone to get a decent video. Enjoy!

2. HarryBun12

HarryBun12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    How fun! Isn't it amazing all the things they know to do without anyone showing them how to do them? Makes you wonder what we're all hard-wired to do that we ignore or don't notice.....

3. PeepinChicken

PeepinChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Cody, WY
    They are just so darned comical, i like it when my babes take their dust bath so much fun

4. Holly0

Holly0 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2011
    My 10 chicks did the same thing when I moved them into the coop with 3" of fresh pine shavings....very fun to watch the dust bathing antics.

5. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Yep mine are going bonkers over the pan of DE. So cute!

6. California_chickie

California_chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Napa valley, Ca
    super cute!

7. billyb

billyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Cleveland, OH
    I can't find the video??? :(

8. billyb

Mar 17, 2012
    Cleveland, OH
    Connorrm,
    Where did you go to list you chickens undernieth your comment?
    Thanks, Billy. :)

9. HudokFarm

HudokFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Minnesota
    Billyb, I had problems figuring out how to do that as well. If you go to your Community Profile (I get there by clicking on my username in the upper right-hand corner of the page), scroll down to Your Forum Signature and just below you can click on "Edit Signature Text". This will open up an area where you can type in a signature line.

10. billyb

Mar 17, 2012
    Cleveland, OH
    Okay, thanks I figured it out, but it was tricky... Haha, I thought you had to go to edit community page or something but it was just all the way on the bottom... :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by