chicks in the classroom

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yellowirenut, Feb 10, 2012.

1. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    My GF is a pre-school teacher. She may think I am a bit odd for having chickens but says she would love to hatch some in her classroom.

The school accepts kids from 1yr old to kinder garden age (half day thing). I have a few questions

After the hatch would it be OK to keep them in a brooder IN the classroom..let say for about a week till they come home?
    What is the acceptable age of kids around poultry chicks?
    Any health concerns? They eat snacks and lunch in there rooms not in a cafeteria.
    I would hate for the board of health to shut them down because peeps in the classroom.

myself i don't see a problem with hatching them...its keeping them there after the hatch that may be a problem.

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    At first I thought you said your GP (Great Pyrenees) was teaching a classroom. I must have gotten mixed up because of the white dog in your avatar? [​IMG]

Back on topic, I know what you are saying about having the brooder in the classroom with little kids. That will all depend how long they keep the brooder in the classroom. Chicks tend to be dusty and kids tend to have weak immune systems. As long as the teachers make sure each kid washes his/her hands after coming into contact with any chicks and the chicks are not kept in the class room too long, I think they would be okay.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Why can't the chicks be kept in a brooder in the hallway right outside of the classroom?

4. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    you need to check with the administration, many of hte public schools around me no longer permit any animals in the classroom.

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Personally, I wouldn't allow any of the kids to hold the chicks, but I'm really funny about that sort of thing.

My youngest goes to a private preschool, and they have requested that we hatch chicks at the school. I think it'll be a lot of fun, though I admit it'll be tough to be so hands off. After they hatch, I thought I'd keep them in the classroom for a week or so, in a glass tank (with mesh lid) so the kids can watch them run around.

I also plan to hatch in my 1st grader's classroom. I'm assuming the teacher will take care of all the permissions, but I don't expect trouble- the kindergarten does frequent hatches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by