Chicks in the garden

FeatherstoneFrm

Songster
Aug 1, 2014
Appling, GA
I was cleaning out my very overgrown garden today and wondering at what age I can let my chicks scratch around in it. Are there certain plants and weeds I need to worry about?
They are only 2-3 weeks now and inside in a crate.
I am also working on cleaning and predator proofing a dog kennel for the coop run so they can spend some time outside.

lazy gardener

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Nov 7, 2012
CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
My chicks are brooded in a grow out coop, so have access to the ground at a very early age. Prior to using this set up, I took the chicks out for play dates any time the weather was above 60*. They do fine with a bit of wind protection. Of course you need to watch them like a hawk, b/c you can be assured that the hawks and all the other local predators will be watching them as well.

FeatherstoneFrm

Songster
Aug 1, 2014
Appling, GA
My chicks are brooded in a grow out coop, so have access to the ground at a very early age. Prior to using this set up, I took the chicks out for play dates any time the weather was above 60*. They do fine with a bit of wind protection. Of course you need to watch them like a hawk, b/c you can be assured that the hawks and all the other local predators will be watching them as well.
Great! Thanks. I was sure if they were old enough but it is certainly warm enough to take them out for a short time.

Top Bottom