Chicks in the garden

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FeatherstoneFrm, Apr 2, 2018.

1. FeatherstoneFrm

FeatherstoneFrm Songster

Aug 1, 2014
    Appling, GA
    I was cleaning out my very overgrown garden today and wondering at what age I can let my chicks scratch around in it. Are there certain plants and weeds I need to worry about?
    They are only 2-3 weeks now and inside in a crate.
    I am also working on cleaning and predator proofing a dog kennel for the coop run so they can spend some time outside.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    My chicks are brooded in a grow out coop, so have access to the ground at a very early age. Prior to using this set up, I took the chicks out for play dates any time the weather was above 60*. They do fine with a bit of wind protection. Of course you need to watch them like a hawk, b/c you can be assured that the hawks and all the other local predators will be watching them as well.

FeatherstoneFrm likes this.
  3. FeatherstoneFrm

FeatherstoneFrm Songster

Aug 1, 2014
    Appling, GA
    Great! Thanks. I was sure if they were old enough but it is certainly warm enough to take them out for a short time.

4. schatzi011

schatzi011 In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2018
    West Hills, CA
    I just bought my chicks yesterday. I think they are only a few days old. If it is above 60 deg F, can I bring them outside?

5. schatzi011

schatzi011 In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2018
    West Hills, CA
    I've been bringing the chicks out every day, and they're getting more brave now and running around.

Amc29 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: