Chicks in Trouble, Failure to Thrive?

El Pollo Guapo

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Hi, all.
We have three chick, 4 weeks old today, that are doing very poorly. All are much smaller and have less feather development than their brooder-buddies.
Over the last few days 2 ( a buff orp and a barred rock) have been progressively wobbly, seldom stand and fall over backwards.
Poop looks fine, eyes are clear, they sleep alot.
They've been in a separate brooder for 2 days with vits, electrolytes, and a ton of babying, and no sign of improvement.
Could this be genetic?
Thanks, Mike.

Well, you are doing all the right things that's for sure. How is the eating and drinking with the 3? You got me there on the genetics part. I would almost think yes if they are cross bred, but rarely have I run across that knowingly. Keep doing what you are doing for a few more days with the separation . Warmth, water and feed, along with your TLC. Maybe they will snap out of the wobblies and perk up.. Rooting for you..... Steve

dealing with the same in a partridge rock. mine is the larger of 2 sisters and is developing but slowed down on eating and became very sedate. all else seems to be just fine. just crossing my fingers and hoping to not lose her. good luck with yours, post any changes, please

Thanks for the replies.
I honestly don't think it's mekeks (maybe wishful thinking).
Today they seem to be doing better, our buff a bit more steady, more alert.
The barred rock still wobbly, but threw one heck of a flapping, cheeping conniption fit when I picked her up tonight.
Our other 16 will be in their coop this weekend, I'm going to give these little girls more time
bow.gif

And yes, that's our table... I'm in big trouble (but only sort of
big_smile.png
).

dealing with the same in a partridge rock. mine is the larger of 2 sisters and is developing but slowed down on eating and became very sedate. all else seems to be just fine. just crossing my fingers and hoping to not lose her. good luck with yours, post any changes, please
Curious, are you giving any meds or supplements?

Thanks, babydoo.
They do seem perkier tonight. At this rate, they'll have a flat screen t.v. on their brooder by Sunday!
I did bump their heat up tonight, back to 80, and the vitamins, egg and yogurt seem to helping. *fingers crossed*

Back
Top Bottom