chicks just arrived, 2 DOA one silkie needs help

ethingtonart

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2009
indianapolis
The silkie is hanging on by a thread. We have been dipping the beak in water and keeping her warm. She is sleeping a lot. I picked them up from the post office around 6:20 am it's now 8am here, 2 easter egggers were DOA, and this poor silkie looked really bad.
Do you think she will make it? Is there anything else I can do?

I can put some sugar in the water. I hope she makes it! I'm hoping because she's made it this long that she'll pull through.

Will she drink too much if I wake her up to dip her beak in the water?

use a dropper and try to drop the water on the top/tip of her beak. This way it will slowly and gently go into her beak and she has more of a chance swallowing it and not drowning.

I dont' think she'll drink too much-- the water will stay in her crop til the rest of her is ready to take it in. It doesn't sound like she's guzzling it, so I wouldn't worry about too much at this point. Warmth is a good thing. You didn't say if you've got other chicks-- if you do, she should be fine snuggling with them. If not, give her a warm fuzzy ( stuffed toy, wash cloth) she can cozy up to.

Quote:

She has 16 other chicks with her, they are all so energetic that they keep stepping on her. All she wants to do is sleep.

She is taking water better, she just pooped and then wobbled away from it.

OK, she is perking up considerably now.
big_smile.png
I tried to give her more water and she refused (sitting up completely) then started to chirp rather loudly!!

Thank you guys so much for the advice!! If you have more suggestions please let me know, and I'll keep you posted on her condition.

Update- So far so good, I'm cautiously optimistic now. It's been 3 1/2 hours since I picked up the chicks from the post office, and the silkie is beginning to move about the brooder on her own. She's not moving well, but she is moving, and she is cuddled up to a banty brahma with her head up! Yeah!

Back
Top Bottom