chicks just hatched need some quick advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by quadcam79, May 28, 2010.

1. quadcam79

quadcam79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    So my Barred rock went broody and has been sitting on a huge clutch of eggs for 3 weeks now, I just went to check on her and one of the chicks are hatching. it's 1/2 way out of the shell. Now, I'm not sure what to do, they are in the coop with the other chickens, mama rock and 4 others, red star, ameraucana roo, leg horn and a wyandotte. they're all pretty laid back, even the rooster.

can I leave them in there with mama or should I remove them and set up a brooder? what about food/water can I just set up a small food water area by the nest? I really dont want to bring them in the house like i did when i first ordered chicks, they reek, so if I can leave them in the coop thats much better. Also, I'm in florida so it's been pretty warm 90/day and 70 night.

I probably should have asked this sooner but I didnt think she was actually going to stay on teh nest and hatch, the wyandotte faked me out before.

thanks

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Is there any way you can rig a pen around the nest?

If you have only the one broody, it's possible she'll defend her chicks from the others, and everything will be fine. It's a risk, though.

3. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I would seperate her. For the chicks sake.You can give her own food and water.How many is she sitting on.?

4. quadcam79

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    looks like shes sitting on about 15-20, she kept swiping the others eggs and pulling them under her. I dont know if I can rig some kind of pen around the nest, I have nest boxes and of course she decided to make a nest in the corner of the coop. So far I have 2 chicks hatched but I cant get near them, as soon as i get too close she bows up and wants to fight.

[​IMG]

5. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Awwwww! What a good little mama! Sorry, no advice, just adoring your cute picture. [​IMG]
    Best wishes and good luck.

6. skeeter03

skeeter03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Vernon
    If you have a dog kennel or get your hands on one for a few weeks that works like a charm - doing this now with my first hatch - once the first chick hatched i moved it and the rest of the eggs into the kennel - which is in the chicken coop - and mama has done just fine in it until today when she figured three chicks was enough and left the eggs (now they r in a bator )
    i seperated mine cause my one rooster is a jerk. lol didnt want to risk it

7. Molbaygun

Molbaygun Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    New Milford, CT
    I'd go with the dog kennel idea. That's what we do. Move the mom and the babies and eggs to the kennel. My broodies tend to calm down when they're away from all the commotion and I can move the moms with a minimal amount of pecks. Good luck!

8. quadcam79

Oct 28, 2007
    Fernandina Beach Fl.
    So I ended up with 5 baby chicks, I just left them in the coop with mama and they are doing great, she already had them out in the run by day 2, they just follow her around and she teaches them to scratch for food. The other chickens dont bother them unless the chicks get too close and then the hens give the babies a peck, if mama see it she chases the other hens.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by