Chicks just hatched with curled toes and yoke bag out!!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RooptyDoo, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    I have 9 chicks that hatched out yesterday and today. Yesterday was day 19 they all hatched with their yoke bag still out. About half of them have curled toes. Did something happen during incubation that caused this? What do I do to the chicks that have curled toes? I know about the band aid thing but, do you put the sticky part on the bottom of the foot or what???? I dont think 1 is going to make it he has alot of his yoke bag still hanging out and is bleeding. Is their anyway I can help this little guy?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

3. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    I agree with the above "too high of temps". It happens to us all sometimes I think. I have put the pad on the bottom and just wrap the toes spread out if you can with the sticky part, I trim what i don't need off, also have just used the sticky part- make sure the foot ends up flat, (straight like it should look). The yoke part will either take care of it's self or not, leave them alone and they might still absorb it ??
    Someone else might have an idea.

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    type curly toes in your search on this sight and you will get threads to show you how to fix (or try) this problem

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by