Chicks laying funny

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmeeter88, May 10, 2009.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    My chicks have started laying funny - on their sides with their wings stretched out. What does this mean? I tried to take some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] It means they are loving the heat lamp. Full grown birds will do this in the sunshine- we call it recharging! its great to see your birds sprawled out. Keep in mind that you may be able to lessen the light wattage. Each week of age you can decrease 5 degrees.
    Enjoy!
    Kel

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I always take that to mean that they are warm. It would be a way of cooling off. [​IMG]

4. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Okay, the heat lamp makes sense. I didn't have one until the temp dropped in the last couple days. I just installed one earlier and they started basking under it immediately. [​IMG]

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Chicks like to way in the strangest positions! The chicks are just laying in a "comfortable" position. A few of our chicks would lay on their stomachs with their heads and feet stretched out with their wings puffed out. They looked like rubber chickens! [​IMG] I swear sometimes they lay in a position just to freak us out! [​IMG]

6. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    The first time my husband came across our hens sun/dustbathing, he got startled and called for me. He thought for sure something was wrong! It just doesn't look normal.

7. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    I thought they were dying of convulsions the first time I saw it.

I guess I thought chickens just walked and sat.

8. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    My sister in law came running into the kitchen yesterday yelling "I think one of the chicks is dying" I dropped everything and ran back to the brooder. That baby was stretched all the way out and one leg was sticking out (a new one even for me). I just looked at her and said "HEY!! cut that out, your upsetting your aunt" And she jumped up and started running around like usual. All I could do was laugh. My sister was still upset. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by