Chicks Leg Out To The Side. New To This. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickachickaboom, Aug 29, 2011.

1. chickachickaboom

chickachickaboom New Egg

Aug 29, 2011
    Hello Everyone!
    So, I have never in my life raised chickens but I'm a fast learner and I'm excited for this new adventure!

My 11 yr. old daughter found four eggs in the drainage ditch at the bus stop about 4 weeks ago. The people who used to live in the house
    by the ditch raised chickens.
    So my daughter brings these eggs home without my knowing and she places them on a heating pad and gets one of her dads work lights
    and puts in her closet to help keep them warm. I found the eggs about a week are so later.
    I was supper amazed that she knew what to do! I'm happy to say that all four chicks hatched last week.
    But one chick who is 3 days old can't seem to walk. Both legs are out to the side of the body and I'm not sure what to do.
    Is it just a slow learner and begin to walk later then the others? Are is there something wrong? I have added a picture so
    you can understand better what I mean about the leg. Please Help!

[​IMG]

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    It has splayed legs, you can make a little hobble for it to hold it's legs where they should be and it can recover nicely. What kind of material do you have them on? That usually occurs when chicks are kept on a slick surface, they need to be able to grip with those toes. Here is a link to an article on how to make the hobbles. http://stoneheadcroft.com/2007/06/03/correcting-splayed-legs/

3. chickachickaboom

chickachickaboom New Egg

Aug 29, 2011
    We have the chicks on a towel in a large box. The other 3 are doing great and boy do they grow fast!
    Thank you for the info and quick reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by