1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks' moving day w/pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LD Jackson, May 28, 2011.

1. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Well, I finally got the coop finished enough to open the bigger section to the chicks. They seem to be enjoying the extra space and have already figured out how to jump up to the little ledge and go back to the smaller section, which I hope they will use as a nesting area in a few months. I may have to cut the hole bigger when they are grown. It's not perfect, but I will be making improvements as I go along. I didn't take a picture of the front, but it is hardware cloth and I plan to hang a tarp over the front during the winter. For now, they seem to like the extra breeze it provides. I still have to get some sealer and try to stop the couple of leaks I have, but it will do for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Very nice!

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice looking set up

4. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Just went and checked on them, as the sun is setting, and they seem to be enjoying themselves. I can already see evidence that at least one of them has found their way to the roost. Probably jumped to the ledge and then to the roost.

5. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    well its a nice set up but for my birds id have to move the feeders away from the roosts cause they would fill them at night with poop

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agreed, don't put the feed or water under anything they can perch on without a poo board or you'll be wasting feed and possibly risking their health

7. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    This is working for the time being because the chicks are not using the roost yet. One or two of them have been on it during the day, but they are still cuddling up on the floor, in a corner, at night. I am still trying to decide what kind of feeder system I am going to use when they are grown.

8. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    looks like a great setup! great job! [​IMG]

9. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    ginger c. :

looks like a great setup! great job! [​IMG]

Thanks, ginger c. What you see as my coop is a converted pigeon loft. It's not ideal, but I think it will work. It should help that they will be turned loose to range in our backyard most of the day, if the weather permits.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by