Chicks not being able to walk

jaspersaitta

Hatching
Dec 26, 2022
Hello
I have around 19 chicks hatched by incubation, they around a month old and bit and just recently around 5 days ago one of the chicks is unable to walk, still healthy and strong, hobbles around the place and flips over itself, eats and drinks, but won’t stand up and his feet curl up a bit. I’ve treated all of them for leg mites but that hasn’t helped much. He is crossed between bantam and a rooster that is mix of many different breeds the rooster is Fairly smallish, would it be that mixing a big breed and a smaller breed could effect a chick.
And now 2 days ago another chick has lost the ability to walk. Just wondering what this could be splayed leg or a deficiency in something I’m not sure. They are currently in a massive pen with lots grass to eat so it’s not because they are in a too small of a pen. I will send a picture of the chicks. Under his wings it’s very bare no feathers.
Would anyone know what this is or what I could do to save them.
Thanks Heaps Jasper

Attachments

• 69F4C16D-1868-4D6E-8609-260B0B24F210.jpeg
    69F4C16D-1868-4D6E-8609-260B0B24F210.jpeg
    826.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 7F259965-67E2-48F0-AA12-0F7CC1E8ED74.jpeg
    7F259965-67E2-48F0-AA12-0F7CC1E8ED74.jpeg
    790.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 597EEFE0-A7B2-4456-BA98-18ADEC32393E.jpeg
    597EEFE0-A7B2-4456-BA98-18ADEC32393E.jpeg
    733.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 854334E1-8A6B-40F5-8B1C-13E23DBAF6BE.jpeg
    854334E1-8A6B-40F5-8B1C-13E23DBAF6BE.jpeg
    866.6 KB · Views: 9
Would anyone know what this is or what I could do to save them.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

What is his normal feed? Grass is not sufficient.

It's possibly a deficiency, If he hasn't been fed a formulated ration or has been given excess treats. Flipping over can be a sign of wry neck sometimes called "star gazing"..

https://meyerhatchery.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017811331-Wry-Neck

Marek's Is a common cause of lameness and in-coordination. It takes 3 weeks from first exposure for symptoms to appear and not all will be effected *usually*. The state vet at UC Davis claims "Marek's is ubiquitous in poultry keeping environments.

His cross breeding should have nothing to do with this.

If he wasn't still eating and drinking then crop function would be in question..

Splayed leg in newly hatched chicks is also a sign of vitamin deficiency.. but splay doesn't just happen after all this time. Checking for injury.. any swelling, excess heat, or abrasions on the legs and bottom of feet are suggested.. Wouldn't make sense for another chick to have the same symptoms though.

:fl

It's possibly a deficiency, If he hasn't been fed a formulated ration or has been given excess treats. Flipping over can be a sign of wry neck sometimes called "star gazing"..

Marek's Is a common cause of lameness and in-coordination. It takes 3 weeks from first exposure for symptoms to appear and not all will be effected *usually*. The state vet at UC Davis claims "Marek's is ubiquitous in poultry keeping environments.

If he wasn't still eating and drinking then crop function would be in question..

Splayed leg in newly hatched chicks is also a sign of vitamin deficiency.. but splay doesn't just happen after all this time. Checking for injury.. any swelling, excess heat, or abrasions on the legs and bottom of feet are suggested.. Wouldn't make sense for another chick to have the same symptoms though.

Hello
Yes thanks heaps, will do that, I feed them chick starter the brand is called Barastoc which is what I normally feed and so far hasn’t been any problems with that. I will check him and get back to you.
Thanks Jasper

I’m

Yeah so not cuts or abrasions on there legs, they can hold their necks up well and they just seems like they are very off balanced there legs are often splayed put in odd angles, they still eat a lot, they are very sleepy.
It’s weird that it’s just the two all the other no problem very fine and healthy.

I’m

Yeah so not cuts or abrasions on there legs, they can hold their necks up well and they just seems like they are very off balanced there legs are often splayed put in odd angles, they still eat a lot, they are very sleepy.
It’s weird that it’s just the two all the other no problem very fine and healthy.
Best I can tell, that feed should be fine regarding nutrient levels! Looks also like you may be in Australia?? Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make there best suggestion regarding resources, etc at a glance

Marek's is highly suspect.. virulence can vary as there are several strains and even birds that have it may never show ANY symptoms but be carriers.. the vaccine that's available here in the US just HIDES the symptoms but does not stop birds from catching and spreading the disease.. Some birds have a more natural resistance and will never show symptoms, even they have it.. causing people like myself to believe that we can somehow breed for resistance, which hasn't really proven to be the case.. but as an example.. out of hundreds or even a thousand birds I've raised only 3 ever started with this whole splayed leg thing.. they continued to actively eat and drink until culled several weeks later.. after being treating for vitamin deficit despite KNOWING my feed was spot on.. hoping it couldn't be true, since I hadn't brought in any unknown birds etc.. ultimately.. I'm a need to know type person.. so culled and sent one in for necropsy..

Here is a good write up on the subject..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

To me.. it's classic Marek's, but I'm not a veterinarian nor do I like jumping to conclusions. Do you guys have a department of agriculture or an avian or poultry vet.. maybe you can at least call them and discuss what incidences they're seeing in your area.

I know that link and the term Marek's sounds frightening.. try not to panic though.. it's not quite the monster it seems.

I know @azygous often has lots of good advice and support to offer. TIA!

Try vitamin E 400iu and B-complex. It's not unusual for vitamin deficiencies to hit at this age. It is a bit early for avian virus symptoms, but can't rule it out. If the chicks do not improve with vitamin therapy, but get worse, then an avian virus should be expected, especially if these hatching eggs were obtained by a private breeder.

Back
Top Bottom