Chicks not growing equally

RedfogsFlock

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Wittmann, AZ
I have 2 frizzles that I bought the same day and at the same store. Theye were both a couple days old when I bought them.
They are both a month old now. My tan one is beautiful looking full of feathers and bigger than the black one. The black one is actually bald in a few spots. She is finally starting to get feathers, but she is covered with the quills but her actual feathers are just starting to come in. She looks and feels like a headgehog, lol The picture I hope shows where he/she is bald. All the light colored is skin, and he/she looks like that its back and wing tips too.

I'm in AZ so our nights we get down to about 50 right now. I know the tan one is ready to go out to the coop for good but not sure about the black one.
I'm actually thinking the black one may be a roo, hates to be held, bites when picked up, tries to get my little dogs when they come near, and is just roudy in general.
I have raised meat birds for years, but these are my first ornamental pets so to speak. Think I could put them outside? They're out all day till about 9 pm. I dont have a way to plug a heat lamp in outside.

Attachments

• 20190512_093005.jpg
    20190512_093005.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have 2 frizzles that I bought the same day and at the same store. Theye were both a couple days old when I bought them.
They are both a month old now. My tan one is beautiful looking full of feathers and bigger than the black one. The black one is actually bald in a few spots. She is finally starting to get feathers, but she is covered with the quills but her actual feathers are just starting to come in. She looks and feels like a headgehog, lol

I'm in AZ so our nights we get down to about 50 right now. I know the tan one is ready to go out to the coop for good but not sure about the black one.
I'm actually thinking the black one may be a roo, hates to be held, bites when picked up, tries to get my little dogs when they come near, and is just roudy in general.
I have raised meat birds for years, but these are my first ornamental pets so to speak. Think I could put them outside? They're out all day till about 9 pm. I dont have a way to plug a heat lamp in outside.

The black one may very well be a cockerel. If he is biting you, you should "peck" him on the back of the head not so hard you hurt him but hard enough to let him know he shouldn't do that.

Back
Top Bottom