Chicks not growing UP Date With Pics

LauraSBale

Songster
11 Years
Aug 3, 2008
Linden, Mich S/W of Flint
I catched out some chicks on the Nov 20,
1 was mine a ee, and the other 4 where from someone else,
my EE is growing but the other 4 are not, they are getting the feathers in but little stumps, and 1 died yesterday, and all they do is cry,

they are half the size of the my EE.

Last edited:
idunno.gif
Check your feed store, they might have a different brand.

Poor things! Make them some scrambled eggs. Sometimes they just have something wrong and there's nothing that can be done, which is sooo frustrating! We lost our first couple of chicks to failure to thrive. They ate and drank just fine, but never grew, and after a week or so didn't make it.

I always add some oatmeal flakes (regular quick oats, not instant) to my chicks food, they love it and think it's the biggest treat! Just a little on top of their other food. It prevents the runny poos that give them the pasty bottom that they can have sometimes.

I sure hope your babies get better quick!

I had some baby's that came a couple days early, we got for the weekend, so i left the turner in, thinking when we back i will take the turner out, and that would give 2 to 3 days of lock down, with no turning, we got home and 2 already hatched and 6 more by the next morning, all came out good, for being turned, up until hatching,

i had some hatch out on the Nov 20th and out of 15 eggs 2 only made it, and the 2 that are still a live, are almost the same size as the ones from 12-27,

these are not my eggs, and i had some issues with he the first hatch

heres some pics of the baby's not growing with the ones that hatched 12-27,
the eggs are from the same lady.

the second set of chicks seem to doing really good.

what could cause this to happen for them not to grow?

~This is a pic of all of them

14027_new_years_2009_069.jpg

~ heres a pic with the chick that was born 11-20 with feathers, but the same size as the ones that were born 12-27, I have a another one that looks like the grey one it in the back

14027_new_years_2009_071.jpg

Kooshie is right. If it isn't rickets it's still something missing from the feed. Get a different brand, or even a different bag of the same brand from a different store with a newer "sell-by" date (read "fresher feed").

The bag or bags of feed you started were probably defective. Even the best companies fail sometimes.

And send one or two of the chicks to your state lab for a diagnosis. They'll be "sacrifice" chicks because the lab will euthanize them to do a necropsy. But it looks like this batch of chicks is in serious trouble, and you need to find out what's really wrong before you lose them all.

As it is, if it IS rickets, the damage is done, and it's permanent and irreversible.

Good luck with this. It's a tough situation.

Back
Top Bottom