Chicks not laying like the used to.

audioguy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2010
Branchburg, NJ
We have 4 Easter Eggers that will turn a year old next week. Ever since they started laying, we would get 3 or 4 eggs per day, almost every day. Sometimes 2 a day during the Winter.
Recently we have gone one day with no eggs. This just started about a month ago. We will get 3 one day then nothing the next, then maybe 2 the next, then nothing again.
Nothing has changed. Coop is the same, water and food are the same.
I have noticed more feathers around the run, but the behavior looks to be the same.

Are they on strike!?? Are they in molt?

Today we got nuttin!

More feathers around the run probably means a molt. When our hens were molting, there were feathers scattered everywhere, but they looked and behaved as normal.

Yes ,feathers are flying with more seen in and around the run. No chance of another nest since they have an enclosed run . They do have a hole used for dusting but no eggs in the hole !

They can go through a mini-molt around 9-10 months, though some seem to be a bit late with that. It's not the BIG ONE, and they don't usually completely quit laying, but they do seem to slow down. Remember, they are not vending machines. They are living creatures who are subject to all manner of stresses/cues. Chickens generally lay at a slightly reduced rate or less regularly as they become older anyway.

Last edited:
They can go through a mini-molt around 9-10 months, though some seem to be a bit late with that. It's not the BIG ONE, and they don't usually completely quit laying, but they do seem to slow down. Remember, they are not vending machines. They are living creatures who are subject to all manner of stresses/cues. Chickens generally lay at a slightly reduced rate or less regularly as they become older anyway.

That is funny
gig.gif
. They are just a year old, next week in fact. Got 2 today, so maybe they are kicking back in?? No other stress that I can see, but I'm not a chicken!!

Back
Top Bottom