Chicks not laying like the used to.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by audioguy, Apr 15, 2012.

1. audioguy

audioguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    We have 4 Easter Eggers that will turn a year old next week. Ever since they started laying, we would get 3 or 4 eggs per day, almost every day. Sometimes 2 a day during the Winter.
    Recently we have gone one day with no eggs. This just started about a month ago. We will get 3 one day then nothing the next, then maybe 2 the next, then nothing again.
    Nothing has changed. Coop is the same, water and food are the same.
    I have noticed more feathers around the run, but the behavior looks to be the same.

Are they on strike!?? Are they in molt?

Today we got nuttin!

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    might be a molt..... sometimes when I get a drastic egg production drop, they have created a new nest somewhere else?

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    More feathers around the run probably means a molt. When our hens were molting, there were feathers scattered everywhere, but they looked and behaved as normal.

4. audioguy

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    Yes ,feathers are flying with more seen in and around the run. No chance of another nest since they have an enclosed run . They do have a hole used for dusting but no eggs in the hole !

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They can go through a mini-molt around 9-10 months, though some seem to be a bit late with that. It's not the BIG ONE, and they don't usually completely quit laying, but they do seem to slow down. Remember, they are not vending machines. They are living creatures who are subject to all manner of stresses/cues. Chickens generally lay at a slightly reduced rate or less regularly as they become older anyway.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. audioguy

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    That is funny[​IMG]. They are just a year old, next week in fact. Got 2 today, so maybe they are kicking back in?? No other stress that I can see, but I'm not a chicken!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by