chicks on layer food

Suzilla Bean

Songster
7 Years
Jun 25, 2015
As incredible as it may seem, my area of town ran out of chick starter crumble. I called all the pet stores around me and none of them carried the brand that I originally fed the chicks. I even called the distributor. I tried switching the girls to mash, but they refused to eat it. In fact there wasn't any poop for 2 days. I added water to their mash. I mixed in lactose free yogurt into it and they refused to eat. One of them ran towards me and yelled--what I believe to be chicken obscenities-- at me. I bought layer feed that looked most like the crumble that I had initially fed them. And the next morning there was the biggest pile of poop on the planet!
ep.gif

I know that I have to change their food back to the chick starter, but I'm concerned that the girls are going to refuse to eat again. Can I safely assume that mixing the chick starter with the current feed would ease them back into eating the chick starter?

After one helpful son of mine offered to pick up starter but got layer by mistake - I mixed the two which actually helped them adjust. So yeah, mix em. Can't believe your store ran out of starter...maybe some large farmer picked them clean.

Back
Top Bottom