chicks one week apart housed together?

ericstac

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
i have 5 chicks I got from ideal last week. i got 12 more today and was wondering if i could put them in the same brooder or do they need to stay apart until they are a little older?

They can grow up in the same brooder. I mixed chicks together over a period of a month, and they all did just fine. I kept an eye on the last ones I added, because they were quite a bit smaller than the oldest, but no problems.

If they're young, from the same location, and just a week or so apart I usually keep them separate for a couple days. If no noticable health problems they go together. If older, from different locations, and separated by more than a week in age I keep them separated for a week or more before putting together. Hope this helps.

I put all 17 in the same brooder.. they are intorducing each other and for the most part getting along.. thanks guys.

they already seem alot more healthier than last weeks batch, so hopefully we don't lose any.

I ordered chicks from McMurray (they are the only hatchery I order from) and received chicks on May 23rd and May 31st and I have them in the same brooder and they get along pretty good because they were close to the same size..

I have some chicks that hatched this past Saturday and they are pretty small so I am keeping them seperate from the above mentioned chicks because of the size difference. I am going to try to introduce them in another week or so maybe. It will depend on their size then

I am new and I purchased chicks a week apart from the feed store and I did not have any other place to put them but together and they did just fine. Now they are about 12 weeks old and they are all getting along great. I just purchased 3 new chicks that are only 6 weeks not sure how they are going to do putting them in together,(they are in quarantine now) now just waiting for them to get big enough to see/

I try to hatch a clutch every weekend. I'll put several ages together, and there is usually not a problem. In fact, the hatchlings go over to the older ones and peck their faces!

well they are doing great together and some of yall were right, a couple of the youngins went in and made sure the older ones knew their place. it was quite amusing.

Back
Top Bottom