Chicks only using run when I'm with them

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I wonder if any of you more experienced bird keepers have any tips for getting the chicks to use the run more. Or are they just not too interested at this age? They are 6 weeks and have had access to their run for a little over a week. I lock them in at night. However, they mostly seem to use the run when I'm with them. As soon as they hear my voice they all come running out, except a few of the smaller birds who prefer watching from the door. They all start pecking around and exploring the area and seem to have a really good time. If I sit down with them they will be outside for the whole duration I'm there. But when I leave, they go back in. I always come back to an empty run, yet they always seem to enjoy spending time there - as long as I'm with them! Is this normal? I wish they'd spend more time outside and thereby leave more of their poops outside! ;) Also, I'd imagine they'd get bored in the coop eventually.

The run mostly has grass, one tree, and some bare ground. It has a swing, but they aren't big enough for it yet, and it has two tree stubs to sit on. Is there something I can put in there that they'd might enjoy? We live in a quiet area and there's nothing that should scare them, no strangers or animals near the run.

Back
Top Bottom