Chicks outside

Joshmorrow9234

In the Brooder
May 4, 2021
I have what I belive to be 1 week old birds- chicks, ducks and turkeys. My question is, can they go outside for a little. The weather is sunny and 65 and they are quickly outgrowing their brooder.
20210506_112514.jpg

no to me it looks like you might have bantam chicks? At least I can see some small ones that I wouldn't put outside yet.
They need to sleep in their brooder so the main issue you cannot avoid is that your brooder is getting too small. Worry about their basic needs over their entertainments.
I would recommend you get two more of what you have, 1 for ducks, 1 for turkeys, 1 for chickens. Let the ducks out if you want.

PS: love the egg carton idea as a feeder - if you leave the lid on and cut holes into the top it will make even less mess but I love seeing useful recycling in action. I discovered that toilet rolls cut in half and placed in a bowl also makes an excellent no spill feeder till they go big enough to just kick the toilet roll out lol so I will copy your idea!

the main issue you cannot avoid is that your brooder is getting too small. Worry about their basic needs over their entertainments.
I would recommend you get two more of what you have, 1 for ducks, 1 for turkeys, 1 for chickens.
x2. You definitely need more brooding space.

As far as letting them out, you can do so if you can supervise and securely contain them (fencing MUST be small enough that the chicks can't get out), and provide draft free areas for them to rest, but keep the visits short. I don't know temperature requirements for ducks/turkeys but the chicks will need to warm back up within an hour or so.

Back
Top Bottom