chicks pecking at my duckling? now shes got a sore spot...help?

mandapanda3186

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
southwest Michigan
Just noticed this, my indian runner duckling(about 4 weeks maybe 5) has a raw spot on her back above her tail. Its about quarter size and not bleeding, but pink. Are my chicks pulling feathers out? Will they continue to peck at her? What should I do? They are caged together in my basement and going to the coop in the next day or two. But the ducks will be with the chicks until the run is finished. Should I try to bandage her or anything maybe neosporin and an overasized bandaid to stop the pecking or just watch it? Help please!
smile.png

It is probably best to seperate them now. Chickens can be very mean and some love to pull feathers if they get the least bit board. If there is even a hint of blood it is likely that all of the chicks will join in on picking because they love red and they love shiny so blood is the perfect target for chicks. If the runner isn't bleeding then you shouldn't have to put anything on her but if it looks like there maybe blood or a sore where they keep picking use the neosporin WITH OUT pain reliever.

If it is pink or red, yes the chicks will probably continue to peck at it since it's more visible. Try putting blu-kote on it. They're not as attracted to darker colors like blue or gray as they are to pink or red.

separate her from the others clean the wound and put some neosporin on it. Baby her and then reintroduce her to the flock through a fence,if not they will pick her again.

that pic is unrelated to what they said because their comments are 2 years old but they do have a point

Thank you every one , I did already take her out and cleaned it twice put her in my large carrier with fresh food and water and she is doing good so far, and glad that I no that their is a great possible of saving her, thanks again

Back
Top Bottom