Chicks pecking at RED?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Magenta_Chick, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Magenta_Chick

Magenta_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Georgia
    I know that chicks peck at the color red... The reason I know this? Because I have a full sleeve tattoo and I have one little chick who diligently pecks my arm everytime I hold him/her or even if I have my hand in the brooder.

Is there a way I can correct this unwanted behavior? Or am I going to have to wear long sleeves everytime I come near it?

Here is a pic where you can see the red all around my wrist and forearm...

[​IMG]

Right now its just a bit annoying, but I know as the chick gets bigger, the pecks can become painful...

2. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    dont think you can make them stop pecking at the red, they just are attracted to it. You can try giving them a little flick when they peck at you, I have heard it is like the mom teaching them manners. I have been trying it with my 4 wk olds cause they always think I have food so everything I reach in their brooder they peck me.

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Chickies react to red the way sharks react to blood. Ofcourse they also react to blood the way sharks do.
    The urge to peck and bite is strong and can trigger a frenzy attack. The are land pirahnas in disguise.

Not trying to scare ya it is just the dark side of the chicken.

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. That's a lot of tattoos! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by