Chicks pecking causing injury

akb77

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 15, 2012
West-Central Ohio
I have 34, 1 week old chicks. Within the first few days one chick was injured by the others pecking at it, so I removed it to a separate brooder. This morning I found 2 more injured by pecking and they have been moved to the recuperation brooder as well.

What might be causing this? Are they too crowded? I have them in a large livestock water trough. Are they bored? Are they deficient in a vitamin/mineral? Would a red heat bulb help minimize this?

Please help. This is my second litter of chicks and have never had this issue before.
sad.png

Thanks!!!

Too hot, too little space and boredom are possible causes. Red might help cut down on it, yes. They need enough room to get away from the heat if they want to. Bring them a chunk of sod or grow them some sprouts if possible. Give them items to sit on, jump up on, etc. Here is a chart for brooder size I found here some time ago:

up to 2 weeks: 0.5 sq ft per chick
2-4 weeks: 1 sq ft per chick
4-8 weeks: 2.5 sq ft per chick
then 4 sq ft per chick

Thank you, Flockwatcher!!
smile.png

I'm going to go out and get a red bulb. I think they have enough space, as I saw on the "Brooder thread" smaller set-ups with more chicks than I have now.

I'm also going to put in some roosts for them to jump on.

How soon can I reintroduce the injured chicks back into the flock?

Back
Top Bottom