Chicks pecking me when I go to pick them up

Mothman_Cookie

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2021
Am I doing this right? I've seen plenty of sources that say that you should hold your chicks so they can get used to you, but my two SLW chicks have pecked at my fingers when I try reaching for them and I'm worried that I'm just making them more scared of me instead of doing the opposite. My chicks are about two weeks old now, any advice?

Chickens are prey animals. You need to earn their trust in a manner that doesn't violate their personal bubble. A good way to do this is to offer food from your hand. Further than that, some chickens will never want to be your friend and it is your responsibility to respect your animal's wishes on the matter - nobody likes being forced to be friends.

Chickens are prey animals. You need to earn their trust in a manner that doesn't violate their personal bubble. A good way to do this is to offer food from your hand. Further than that, some chickens will never want to be your friend and it is your responsibility to respect your animal's wishes on the matter - nobody likes being forced to be friends.
Thanks for the tip!

Am I doing this right? I've seen plenty of sources that say that you should hold your chicks so they can get used to you, but my two SLW chicks have pecked at my fingers when I try reaching for them and I'm worried that I'm just making them more scared of me instead of doing the opposite. My chicks are about two weeks old now, any advice?
They may just be curious “what are those long things?” I personally hold each one from day one daily, but if you have a lot then that’s going to be hard.

They may just be curious “what are those long things?” I personally hold each one from day one daily, but if you have a lot then that’s going to be hard.
I only have four, when I first got them I didn't know you had to hold them, I just handed them food, that's probably why they're a little scared to be held, but I thought that the little ones were trying to protect themselves from me and I don't wanna be seen as a threat to them

I put some of their food wetted into a mash in my palm. When they ate it, it was liked getting tapped with dull pencil points.

It might help if you can reach in from lower down and not be "that big scary thing that comes down from above." It is instinctual for them to fear things that come down from above. Like hawks.

I've found it's best to make friends outside of the brooder. Get them out in your bathroom, or somewhere easy to clean up, and let them play while sitting on the floor with them. They'll soon be jumping up to perch on your legs and snuggling when they start to get cold. It only needs to be a 10 minute play session but they love having a bit of freedom.

I've found it's best to make friends outside of the brooder. Get them out in your bathroom, or somewhere easy to clean up, and let them play while sitting on the floor with them. They'll soon be jumping up to perch on your legs and snuggling when they start to get cold. It only needs to be a 10 minute play session but they love having a bit of freedom.
I'll try that! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom