Chicks pecking my eyes.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickens-246, May 16, 2010.

1. Chickens-246

Chickens-246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    I have two chicks that like to play parrot. They usually try to eat my shirt, without notice, one pecked the side of my eye ball yesterday. The other chick did the same a few days ago. This last one is really painful. It seems instinct would tell them not to do such a thing.

2. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    There have been several threads about this. Please be careful with them! They are attracted to shiny objects, and you don't want to get a serious eye injury. Be careful! I don't let my kids put their faces near the chickens.

3. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I stopped playing parrot a couple of years ago when mine did the same thing. What chicken can resist a pretty shine marble rolling around inches from their face.[​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    They peck at everything...that's their instinct. I have three hens raising chicks and I've seen every one of those hens get their own eyes pecked by their chicks. I couldn't be as tolerant and loving as these hens!

5. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I had the same thing happen yesterday. One pecked at my eye and attacked my shirt and buttons and another bit my ear. That one hurt and you can't see it coming unless you're built weird. [​IMG] It was out of nowhere. She'd been there for a few minutes and then...peck.

6. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    My son has braces and he has to be careful because they will attack his mouth trying to get to the braces. . . .

7. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Keep them away from your earrings too! I generally keep my head at least eight inches away from the beak. lol

8. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Oh my! I can never let my husband see this thread. He is very paranoid about anything touching his eye, lol. He would never go around the chickens without safety glasses [​IMG] . Sorry you got a painful peck, thanks for the heads up though! Oh and the braces thing cracks me up. My little sister (18) is scared of birds so if a chicken tried to get her braces... [​IMG]

9. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    You could potentially loose an eye to just about any animal which is why you don't stick your face close to theirs.

You were extremely lucky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by