Chicks Perching on Waterer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by diamondsilkies, May 21, 2019.

1. diamondsilkies

diamondsilkies Songster

Oct 23, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    I have five pullets right now, about 2 1/2 months old, of all different breeds. They are in my grow out pen with a couple silkies of around the same age. In that pen, I have a large metal waterer, which I have been using for a couple years with no issues. These five, however, love to sit on the top. The only issue with this is that they poop all over it, and into the water tray down below. I am constantly having to swish it out so that they all have access to clean water.

They have another perch, but for some reason, prefer their waterer instead. In a few months, I'll move them out with the grown flock, which has a nipple water system. My question is this: is there any way I can get them to stop perching on this, or do I just wait it out? Has anyone else had problems with this? It just confuses me because in all the years that I've had chicks with this waterer, I've never had much trouble with it.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    (Here's the waterer in question)

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Yeah I've had that. I haven't had luck breaking them of it. I generally just switch waterers to pans or a plastic dome type.

chickens really likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I use Livestock bowl for water too and they don't Roost on that...

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  4. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Songster

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    Why not use a bucket with a nipple waterer now, since they need to learn to use it anyway? They are cheap and stay clean even if they roost on top of the bucket.

5. Take some tin. Or cardboard and make a cone shape. ( liks a dunce cap) Place it on top of your waterer and eliminate the flat surface they are using to roost.

aart, Santa Claus and chrissynemetz like this.
  6. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    All the above suggestions are great. And give them branches and things to get up upon.

chrissynemetz and Trux like this.
  7. Molpet

Molpet Crossing the Road

I put a funnel on top of the waterer... they roost on the highest spot they can... especially the boys

aart and chrissynemetz like this.
  8. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I made a cone shaped top out of chicken wire to put on mine when my chicks decided to roost on it. It worked. They grudgingly started using the actual roosts instead :)

SueT likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Some kind of cone is the way to go.
    Chicken wire might be the best bet.

10. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    I took a hinge and a 1ftX2ft piece of plywood. Made a fold down "roof" over the waterer that they slide off if they try to rest on it. And if they roost in the rafters, the poo still doesn't get in the water.
    No more poopy water!

Molpet and Criticalicious like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: