Chicks, pullets, or hens? What's the best for a first timer

For a first timer, I think you should start from day old's or even get an incubator and hatching them yourself! That way you can familiarize yourself with chicken keeping from the very first stage and learn as you and your chickens grow! I think it's a lot more rewarding than just acquiring already grown chickens.

If you’re worried about your chickens bonding with you I think what matters most is the amount of time you spend with them young or a bit older either way.

I agree, get the coop finished before you order the chicks or chickens. Life often gets in the way of schedules. If you get baby chicks and can get electricity to your coop, you can raise them out there. Many people that try to brood in their house can't wait to get them out of the house. Have your coop ready.

Since you want to bond with your chicken, build the coop big enough that you can sit out there in a chair and read, play games on your device, whatever. You don't have to handle your chickens to make them pets, just spend time around them. Scattering treats near your chair can help them overcome initial shyness.

From what you describe I think you will be better off with POL pullets. You will know they are pullets, not cockerels. You don't have to go through the stress of raising them. One reason they cost more is that someone has had to buy food for them. You won't have to invest in the stuff for the brooder or store it afterwards. If you invest time and patience you can bond with them, you'll have to spend time with chicks to bond anyway.

You can make any way work but I think this is the most stress free for your goals.

We just bought our first chicks (we have had them a full 7 days today-they were already almost a week old when we got them) I will say it has not been nearly as "hard" as I had imagined. We have an extra room right now so that's where we put the brooder. It's warm here so we are hoping to move them outside at about 4 weeks of age. Their coop is all ready except for a few things I want to upgrade security wise. I see the babies at TSC and though they are super cute and most likely healthy, we choose to drive 85 miles to a breeder (just a personal choice--and we wanted a specific breed). No matter which way you go...happy adventures with your new chickies!! :D

There probably isn’t a right or wrong. I started with 3 hens & it worked well for me. They felt like an easy start with a quick reward turnaround (eggs). I wanted to make sure I enjoyed having them before I got in too deep. I added two more hens about 4 months later & now at 8 months later I bought 4 chicks yesterday. They’re cute no doubt but I like knowing what I’m getting (breed/sex/personality) & being able to integrate them with my flock sooner. (Granted mine were a TSC purchase so more unknowns there than going through a breeder.) I had a failed hatch attempt a few months ago (raccoon got eggs) but that would’ve been my preference over buying bc they would’ve grown up with the flock. Pretty sure I got caught up in some chick-y spell at TSC. I’m still confused about how they got in my garage. Haha.

I'm leaning more towards pullets! But keep responding everyone with their opinon!
I got my first chickens last year. Hubby did not want chicks in the house so I found someone who was selling pullets old enough to sex. They were about 12 weeks old when they came home. Best decision ever!! Still young but old enough to go right in the coop ;) last summer pic and this summer
20170815_171550.jpg
20180801_214651.jpg

506AF62E-984A-47CA-90F0-F3A6A72DF1CE.jpeg
I've never owned chickens but I'm wondering what's the best to start with here's what I'm thinking I'll start with chicks: chicks have extra costs needing a heat lamp and all of the other things and in my head I've always thought since recently I'm not getting chicks because they coat extra money but thinking it now pullets and hens cost more then chicks but chicks need more supplies so I think they'll equal each other out but then I think there's probably no way I will get all females and I don't spicificly want a rooster but what do I do if I get one? Then with pullets I wouldn't have the same bond that I would with the chicks so what's is everyone else's ideas and experiences

Personally I would not invest in straight runs if can’t have a roo. You can order just female chicks one day olds at a fraction the cost. My pet chicken, TSc, and Meyer Hatchery will ship to you. Shop around for your breed selection and pricing. Pick a breed that is best layer for type of egg you want, brown, white, or colored. I made a brooder out of cardboard box, got the cheap heat lamp with thermo regulator to regulate temperature from TSC, and small baby feeder and waterer. I made a roosting bar and chick swing for them. Lowered my costs and the chicks get along well since raised together. I just used the cheap $9.00 heat lamp at TSC. It worked fine. Have at least 24 inch high walls on the brooder. After a few weeks and they start hopping around may have to put netting on top. I bought a Barred Rock, Golden Buffs, and Speckled Sussex for large brown eggs and best layers. You can go to my pet chicken website and use the breed selector tool and view best layers on their website. Two methods to help with decision making. I have healthy pullets now and soon will be laying. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
It's a personal choice, I am on my first foray in to chicken ownership. We started with chicks mailed to us directly from Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon MO. A reputable hatchery. I wanted four breeds, they picked a time when all four would be hatching at the same time. Chicks arrived healthy and happy. I ordered 24, they shipped 26, no roosters, all survived to adulthood. I used hanging heat lamps wired to a dimmer and kept them in my basement boiler room in early April. chick feeders, waterers, heat lamps, I got all at my local Farm and Fleet store. Very little cost. My family spent most of our time down there observing and interacting with these new amazing creatures. Who needs cable TV when you have baby chicks. Pure entertainment. I would not have wanted to miss that experience for the world.!!!! Greatest thing ever. They do grow fast. By their 9th day in their brooder box, they could jump up to the rim of the box. I scrambled and made screened lids for the boxes and got to work in earnest on building my coop. Ooops ! We just had our eggversary, the one year anniversary of getting our first egg. At every step of the way, an awesome experience that exceeds my expectations. A proper set up and equipment, enclosure etc. means everything to making chicken ownership easy.

Back
Top Bottom