Chicks put themselves to bed!

NewChickmom2016

Songster
5 Years
May 25, 2016
I am betting manyof you will understand my pride as a new chick mom- our 6 1/2 week old chicks put themselves to bed tonight!

They have been in their run/coop for a week and a half. Every night we have had to go out and put them into the coop. In the morning we find them up on the roosts- doubt they spent the whole night there- but at least they are up there. Tonight they all went in to the coop pretty early, up on their roosts, and then came back out a bit later. Figured it would be another night of "tucking" them in. But- what a nice surprise- I looked out and they were all in the coop and on their roost! Guess they are growing up!

Still hoping we have all pullets.... that will be the next milestone!

-Jerie

We let them out of the coop every morning and they are back in the run in the morning. Once they are bigger we are hoping to free range with supervision. We have a hawk that has been keeping an eye on them so we need to be very careful.

Can't believe how much fun these little guys have been!

I was hoping mine were on their way in last night. I went out at 7:45pm and all 6 were standing on the ramp up to the coop. Only 1 (the ring leader) walked right up and in. She/he walked back out to the edge and started chirping away, which I took as a call for bed. Didn't happen.

I just got them on Wednesday, so I'm not too disappointed.

Here's the "Girls" hanging out at the doorway to their coop. Henrietta got the memo about settling at the door last- she was trying to figure a way to get up there too! L-R - Dottie, Buffy and Tilly.

I read your post and had to do a double take to make sure this wasn't my post.
smile.png
~2 months ago i was in the same spot as you are now after moving my 12 girls out to the coop for the first time. After a week of stressful nights (for me and each of the girls no doubt) catching them to put them safely inside the coop for the night all of a sudden one night they filed in 1 by 1. I couldn't believe my eyes. then out came 2 of the girls for a last loop around the outside run followed closely by the queen bee of my dozen hens, Lucy. In no time she encouraged them back inside. And that was that. Has been the rule every since. Hope your enjoying your chickens as much as I am mine!

Back
Top Bottom