Chicks raised in coop with flock?

MamaChixx

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2020
Hi. One of my australorp is currently sitting on 8 eggs and they have about one more week to go. I was planning on having mama hatch and raise the chicks in the coop with the rest of the flock (where they are now). I was going to set water and feed on the floor for easy access since my regular feeder/waterer are hanging from the ceiling.

Any major red flags with this approach?

That's what I alwasy do. In my opinion, it depends on the mom. Some are excellent, some... not so much. You'll need to watch closely when she first brings them off the nest, and hope for the best.
Normally she will protect them from other hens and roosters, so watch how she reacts when others get close. If she flares up and makes them back off, that's a good sign.

Good luck! Watching a mama teach the little ones is such a pleasure. Enjoy!

I raise within the flock, but also do not confine them, so any can run away and hide from any potential trouble. If you keep them confined, I'd try to construct a shelter with small doorways that chicks could get through but not adults (though that will exclude the broody too). Other members of the flock take an interest in the chicks, especially when they first appear, but very few here have ever pecked one, and then the broody needs to step up to protect her little ones. Some are better at that than others, but they all learn and get better with experience (as we all do). Good luck!

We personally pull them from the flock, and then also pull all but 4 eggs from her. We have quite a few broody hens constantly sitting on eggs, and we just had a a tragedy a few years ago with the flock killing a dozen chicks and also beating up mama terribly. That was too much and we just don't want to go through that again.

We feel that a hen is able to monitor and or defend 4 chicks if she needs to. We have been doing this for a few years with no deaths.

But, as you can see, a lot of folks have good experiences with leaving everyone as is.

I have a group of Serama girls sitting in the same box. A couple days ago, I saw 8 chicks. Yesterday I counted around 11. The girls are sharing mothering duties, one seems to be staying on the additional eggs. I watched a little rooster peck a chick hard on the head. I mean hard! I wanted to swat him myself, but one of the mommas rushed over to him and gave him a swat herself. It was hilarious, after I was confident the chick was ok.
A2DB9A3C-312A-438F-89F7-C862D504F7DF.jpeg
7EFF3C87-6EC4-4F70-BF32-7EF6D579DFF5.jpeg
F60781EC-BE00-4995-A09F-D94EAA18667E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom