Chicks really trying out the run

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Celticdragonfly, May 26, 2019.

1. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    We got the mulch into the run today, and let the chicks spend the afternoon in the run, while we worked on coop prep and got a lot done. They really seemed to get into exploring the space more. By sunset they were making distressed sounds again. They are back into the brooder box tonight. Do they look ready to move into the coop this week? They are 4 1/2 weeks old. We're in Texas, lows are mid 60s to low 70s.

2. ChooksNQuilts

ChooksNQuilts Free Ranging

Nov 26, 2017
    Southwest Idaho
    You can absolutely put them in the coop now.
    Chicks will make a “distressed” sound when it’s time for bed but they’re really not distressed.
    It’s sounds like it but it just something chicks do.
    My broody raised chicks do it also.
    Are you brooding them with a heat lamp or a heat plate/MHP?
    Chicks raised under a heat lamp aren’t used to the dark since they have light 24/7 for weeks.
    It’s the dark that scares them.
    They’ll get used to it.
    They’ll huddle in a nest box together most likely.
    They’re adorable!
    That white one reminds me of my little white Plymouth Rock, Crystal.

starri33 likes this.
  3. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    Thanks. They have been raised with a heat plate, they have been in the dark regularly. Sometimes they don't LIKE it - @Purple Rose will go to bed and complain about how much they're CHEEPCHEEPCHEEPing at her for turning off the light.

That white one is my mystery bird - I was supposed to get an EE, a red sex link, and an Ideal 236 Leghorn hybrid. I thought the white one was the Leghorn - until someone commented on the feathery legs. I've been told she might be a white cochin. I'm guessing bantam. So we got the black australorp chick too. I dunno if we'll get away with keeping 4 when we're supposed to have 3, and I don't know yet if they're all pullets, so we'll see what happens.

I really think tomorrow we start the "keep them in the coop only for several days" advice I've seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: