Chicks received today, is this normal?

djjwalls

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
I ordered a few chicks and recieved them in the mail today. They were shipped yesterday, arrived and my post office this morning, and I drove right over to get them. Two were dead in the box and one could not stand and died a few hours later. Later in the afternoon we noticed one was being pecked, wouldn't stand, and had her eyes closed. She also died. I only ordered 12 chicks, 4 died!!!! Is this normal? I was not sure what to expect, but I'm a little shocked about the death rate. Is there something we did wrong, or is this what I should expect in the future?

sometimes things like that happen, they most likely died because of something at the hatchery

I do not think that is normal. The percentage of deaths is too high. I got two shipments of chicks, 25 each, different hatcheries, a week apart.

None died.

Well, one did die a day later, but that was because the poor little thing somehow got his head under the waterer and died. There was not a thing wrong with him until he did that.

None arrived dead, and all seemed to be healthy.

Were they a very delicate breed or something? Anyway, it seems like a lot to me.

Will they replace them to you?

Catherine

Definitely let the hatchery know; they will usually give credit.

I had about 1/3 die, but they were shipped in cold weather and took 3-4 days to arrive. I don't really understand why you should lose so many if they arrived that quickly. Makes me wonder if they were handled roughly during shipment.

I received my chicks (18 of them) yesterday from Ideal, and two of mine were also DOA. They were both what they call ameraucanas (I think they are actually easter eggers). One of the silkies was near death and I managed to nurse it back to health.

Were yours also from ideal? Similar breeds? My box also looked pretty beat up, and we are in an area that would not see live animals much, so maybe it was rough treatment by the post office and not the hatchery. Did your shipment box also look pretty beat up? Is that normal?

That is not normal. I received 16 chicks ( I ordered 15 ) on a Wed. They shipped from Crackle on a Monday. All are completely healthy.
I would call the hatchery asap.

It could have been shipping defects, hatchery defects, disease, etc. I would refund, get my money back.
hmm.png

certain breeds like Sebrights, are especially fragile chicks. if they were sebrights, salmon faverolles, or some other breeds, they may have been a particularly fragile. however, most breeds should make it to your doorstep intact! (especially with next day delivery)

if there is a problem with shipping (they sit at the PO over the weekend, spend 4 days in the mail, etc.) then it wouldn't surprise me at all to find some fatalities...

however, in this scenario, i would call the hatchery and let them know what happened. they should refund you, give you a store credit, or send replacements.

I'd say you got off pretty good. I just got my order of 14 chicks yesterday (after one day of shipment) and I had 5 dead, and one dying. I lost 3 over night from it being too cold (completely my fault). The surviving 5 are going to be pampered beyond belief!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom