Chick's right eye hurt or disease?

Their eyes are all clear! They are happy little guys and seem very healthy! I'm so happy with them!!!
So glad to hear that! So it was the cedar after all. I'm guessing mine was genetic then. I have no cedar anywhere. My chick's eye is functional, but still not quite right. Good enough for now - he's a boy so he doesn't have a long life ahead of him anyway :(

So glad to hear that! So it was the cedar after all. I'm guessing mine was genetic then. I have no cedar anywhere. My chick's eye is functional, but still not quite right. Good enough for now - he's a boy so he doesn't have a long life ahead of him anyway :(
Maybe you can find him a home. Roosters make great pets if kept away from the girls. Or maybe someone out there needs a flock protector : )

Chick just hatched yesterday and one of their eyes wont open. They seem kind of weak, wobbling and swaying back and forth. I had to assist the chick in hatching. I don't know what's wrong...

Chick just hatched yesterday and one of their eyes wont open. They seem kind of weak, wobbling and swaying back and forth. I had to assist the chick in hatching. I don't know what's wrong...
It could be mycoplasma, or another infection. Can you send a pic of the chick and its eye, the other chicks, and the overall brooder set up?

How is it's overall condition?

Did it absorb the yolk fully into its abdomen?

Is this your first hatch in that incubator?

Are they cheeping quite a bit or do they seem content?

Is each one eating and drinking yet?

Hope it is ok and wishing you the best with them!

It could be mycoplasma, or another infection. Can you send a pic of the chick and its eye, the other chicks, and the overall brooder set up?

How is it's overall condition?

Did it absorb the yolk fully into its abdomen?

Is this your first hatch in that incubator?

Are they cheeping quite a bit or do they seem content?

Is each one eating and drinking yet?

Hope it is ok and wishing you the best with them!
As you can see it is only the right eye. We actually hatched them from their mom, a broody hen. This is the only one with a problem. We have hatched chicks in an incubator before though and they are healthier and more active than ever. This chick is a mix of both, peeping quite a bit and also quiet. I do not believe they are eating or drinking yet, but if I am not wrong, cant newborn chicks go a day or so without food or water because they have the nutrients from the egg. Thank you so much you are amazing!
20210725_191031.jpg
20210725_191109.jpg

As you can see it is only the right eye. We actually hatched them from their mom, a broody hen. This is the only one with a problem. We have hatched chicks in an incubator before though and they are healthier and more active than ever. This chick is a mix of both, peeping quite a bit and also quiet. I do not believe they are eating or drinking yet, but if I am not wrong, cant newborn chicks go a day or so without food or water because they have the nutrients from the egg. Thank you so much you are amazing! View attachment 2773561View attachment 2773563
It’s too early to tell. Keep an eye on the chick and see how it behaves once it gets past the wobbly newborn phase. They can go a couple of days without food and water. Usually by day 2 they are dry and fluffy and start exploring and trying to eat and drink. If it eats, drinks and poops, then maybe the eye isn’t a big deal.

Like I posted earlier in the thread, I had one of those too - assisted hatch, wobbly and sleepy at first with the right eye closed for most of the time. It got better over time and is now a lovable 3-month-old cockerel who looks and acts just fine.

9B82399A-30F7-4DE1-B8FC-A52550ED83C4.jpeg

As you can see it is only the right eye. We actually hatched them from their mom, a broody hen. This is the only one with a problem. We have hatched chicks in an incubator before though and they are healthier and more active than ever. This chick is a mix of both, peeping quite a bit and also quiet. I do not believe they are eating or drinking yet, but if I am not wrong, cant newborn chicks go a day or so without food or water because they have the nutrients from the egg. Thank you so much you are amazing! View attachment 2773561View attachment 2773563
Thank you for posting! : )

Your chick is so cute!

I am wondering if perhaps some of the albumen and other liquid from the hatch is left over on that side of the face and eye. You can see how the fluff on that side is also slicked back a bit. Once it dries, it could cause the eye lids to temporarily get stuck shut.

It may resolve itself in time, but I would also check with a vet to see if there is a particular eye drop they recommend for birds that could loosen any potential material. Make sure it is something that won't cause damage or draw moisture from the eye. Don't use distilled water for instance. Also be cautious of rubbing anything into the eye area, as it could introduce other bacteria, etc. Gentle drops will hopefully do the trick. Or you can wait and see and it may resolve.

Best wishes! : )

Thank you for posting! : )

Your chick is so cute!

I am wondering if perhaps some of the albumen and other liquid from the hatch is left over on that side of the face and eye. You can see how the fluff on that side is also slicked back a bit. Once it dries, it could cause the eye lids to temporarily get stuck shut.

It may resolve itself in time, but I would also check with a vet to see if there is a particular eye drop they recommend for birds that could loosen any potential material. Make sure it is something that won't cause damage or draw moisture from the eye. Don't use distilled water for instance. Also be cautious of rubbing anything into the eye area, as it could introduce other bacteria, etc. Gentle drops will hopefully do the trick. Or you can wait and see and it may resolve.

Best wishes! : )
Thank you for your help! I will keep an eye out

Back
Top Bottom