frostic

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 7, 2018
Lake elsinore California
My Coop
My Coop
hello guys and gals,

so I took my 2 chicks outside today so they can see their coop and they started shaking and you could tell they was stressed really bad.

One of them seems to have maybe a bad heart. she literally fell on her side and her eyes closed and she went limp as soon as i sat her down in the coop so I ran over picked her up and brought her back inside. the other chicken seemed fine but she was making a really aweful sound like a cat being killed or something.... as soon as I brought them back inside they are both fine now but that was really scary. has anyone ever had a chick do that? they are 28 days old now.

hello guys and gals,

so I took my 2 chicks outside today so they can see their coop and they started shaking and you could tell they was stressed really bad.

One of them seems to have maybe a bad heart. she literally fell on her side and her eyes closed and she went limp as soon as i sat her down in the coop so I ran over picked her up and brought her back inside. the other chicken seemed fine but she was making a really aweful sound like a cat being killed or something.... as soon as I brought them back inside they are both fine now but that was really scary. has anyone ever had a chick do that? they are 28 days old now.
What was the temp?

hello guys and gals,

@Wyorp Rock @Kiki @Eggcessive any ideas?

its odd because there is no reason i can find why they was that scared. they was only outside for 30 seconds before they started freaking out. the coop has a roof so i don't get it. i'm guessing they will need to be alot older to go outside if they was that scared.
How old are they?
Do you have photos of your coop?
New things can be scary to chicks. How did you carry them outside? Transport can also be a bit scary or if not careful, they can get jostled around.

i would just put then inside the coop with a little light inside and cozy wood flakes. let them explore the coop on their own (with the feeder and fresh water), with the coop-door open , eventually they will come out and look around. I found that letting them do things on their own in their own time. is best ( worked for my small quartet). lol

i would just put then inside the coop with a little light inside and cozy wood flakes. let them explore the coop on their own (with the feeder and fresh water), with the coop-door open , eventually they will come out and look around. I found that letting them do things on their own in their own time. is best ( worked for my small quartet). lol

they have never been outside in the coop before. they have been in the yard and was fine.
it is when i took them in the coop they got scared. maybe the smell of my older
birds that was in the coop before scared them? coop temp was 87 when i put them inside.
its 8 feet by 5 feet wide and 4 feet tall. it was as soon as i sat them down they freaked out. one acted like she was dying it scared her so much.

next time i will try sitting in the coop with them on my lap and do it a few times a day till they get used to seeing it?

they are 29 days old, i carried them in my hands, they like being held a bit too much lol.

my coop https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-chicken-coop.74205/
they have never been outside in the coop before. they have been in the yard and was fine.
it is when i took them in the coop they got scared. maybe the smell of my older
birds that was in the coop before scared them? coop temp was 87 when i put them inside.
its 8 feet by 5 feet wide and 4 feet tall. it was as soon as i sat them down they freaked out. one acted like she was dying it scared her so much.

next time i will try sitting in the coop with them on my lap and do it a few times a day till they get used to seeing it?
They do freak out a little when in new place. I would sit with them and let them explore.
Also is your coop floor wire or is it "solid" - I can't tell. If it's wire and they have never walked on that before, it may have been intimidating.

Back
Top Bottom