Chicks should be at the feed stores soon.

I have to wait til March
sad.png

I went to my feed store to order my April chicks tonight. They have all the breeds I am looking for coming in on dates that are good for me. After drooling over the list for awhile I went to the cashier to place my order. It was then that I got bad news. She said that the chicken person decided to implement a new policy this year. They are requiring a minimum of 10 chicks per breed!!!
somad.gif
. I complained a lot. A minimum of 10 of each breed at a feed store??? And this is not special orders, just their scheduled standard breeds! The cashier was very nice and I tried to be friendly with her. She was just the messenger. She said that very few people are ordering chicks when they find this out. She is keeping a list of how many people are walking away unhappy. I asked her to tell the chicken person that I will have to take my business elsewhere and that probably include all my feed purchases. Luckily we have many places in the area to purchase chicks. I was looking to order about 20 chicks of various breeds. She did glance around and then told me that another right down the street is selling single chicks. I smiled and said yes I know. They will likely get some of my business in April.

I am going to try calling this feed store once a week for a while to see if they change their policy. I was very pleased with the chicks I got from them last year. And they usually have some breeds that no one else in town has, such as GLW and Welsummer. I was going to order a couple of each of these.

Went to another feedstore today, Close feed and supply in Hayward CA will have chicks the 3rd week of Feb. (they also carry full size bales of timothy hay, my guinea pigs will be happy)

Went to local TSC last night...they will get their chicks early April...
sad.png
Worse yet, if I want something they are not getting, I have to order at least 25 chicks! Kinda defeats the purpose imo. We don't have a lot of feed stores around her, so hopefully the local co-op will be getting some.

I got some red sex link hens last spring from TSC. No health issues. Survived the winter so far in a metal shed.And I get an egg every day from all three.I am happy with them.Look forward to some more.

It would be BAD BAD BAD for me if our feed stores sold chicks year round
big_smile.png
I would surely be divorced! (haha, kidding...sort of
tongue.png
)

Back
Top Bottom