Chick's skin under eye blows up while exhaling . What's wrong??

Nikkijo

Chirping
Apr 18, 2017
Yuba City , California
My 7 week old silkie chicks looks like she's having a hard time breathing when she sleeps. And when she breathes out(exhales) the skin between her eye and beek fills up with air. Like a little air pocket or balloon . It goes back down when she inhales. I noticed this a few days ago.just today her chirp sounds totally different . Like broken up kind of & lower pitch. I've been using vetrx on her nares. I first noticed 3 days ago. She's a lot smaller than the rest buts eats a ton and drinks well. I would like to treat her myself . Has any one ever experienced this or can help me in any way please? I've searched everything and can't find anything. Thank you

vetdr00

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2016
White sulphur springs, WV
I'm new to chickens but if it was normal then developed respiratory issues acutely then I would worry about possible trauma to the face due to the swelling associated with breathing. They can also develop pneumonia sometimes. The vetrx sounds like a good idea. Make sure it's eating and drinking. U could add save a chick electeolytes to a separate water. If possible seek out an avian vet for advice or exam . I gave my chicks part of cooked pulverized egg they loved it so if not eating u could try that. Sorry I don't know more. Good luck.

Top Bottom