Chicks sleeping pattern???????????????

sayisayisayi

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 25, 2011
I have 6, 1 week old chicks in a 4'x2' brooder, pine shavings bottom and 250w infrared light at one end of the brooder, with the water and food at the cooler end of the brooder. When the chicks sleep they always sleep together in a little huddle in the corner of the brooder where the heat lamp is, however they sleep on the outside perimeter of the heat shield and not directly under the lamp. The brooder is a constant 90 degrees under the lamp. I'm just wondering if this is just how they like to sleep, all together, or are they actually cold? there is no peeping and they seem content. Is this how they normally sleep???
Thanks

My 5 sleep that way too,the 12 I raised last year did the same thing.Sounds like your chicks have a really nice set-up.
thumbsup.gif

My chicks sleep together, then wake and step all over each other. They are a week old yesterday and always sleep away from the heat lamp. I have already changed my 250 watt light for a 150 watt light thinking they spend a lot a time outside the light. The brooder temperature is 90 degrees, but the room temperature is around 75-78 degrees. Can this make a difference?
frow.gif

Tonight I saw two of my chicks pant a little. I adjusted the heat lamp a little and every one looks ok, still sleeping in bunches outside the light but no panting. The brooder temperature though is now closer to 83 degrees. Were they too hot or am I fretting too much?
barnie.gif

Quote:
You're fretting too much. As long as there is sufficient space in the brooder for them to move away from your heat lamp they will migrate to the zone in the brooder that has the temp they want. If they are sleeping on the perimeter of the light that is where they are most comfortable. If they were on the far side of the brooder, away from the lamp, then it would be too hot. Chicks always sleep huddled, they are social critters, plus they are lacking a hen for motherly contact. My chicks always fall right asleep when I hold them cupped in my hand, they like the contact.

Back
Top Bottom