Chicks Sneezing: One has a runny nose :(

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
About 4/5 days ago I realized quite a few of my chicks were sneezing. I have 20 EEs and they are a little over 2 weeks old now. I thought the sneezing was due to the dusty pine shavings, since they didn't have any mucus discharge, no laboured breathing, and are all eating/drinking fine. They still are sneezing pretty regularly. I clean their brooder every 2 days, and I got these chicks from a hatchery, just so you know. Today, one of the chicks sneezed on me and I felt a light spray. I immediately picked it up and it had some mucus discharge. It's acting completely normal other than the sneezes, but obviously it could still be something serious and I want to make sure. None of the others have runny noses so far, but who knows if it just hasn't gotten to that point with the others yet. Their brooder has lots of ventilation and I've been trying very hard to keep their brooder clean. I've heard that respiratory illnesses can be mild, but I'm not taking any chances.

Should I add electrolytes to their water? Anything else I should do to prevent them from getting any worse?

Just in case anyone is viewing this thread in the future, my chicks are all okay!! I was being an extra paranoid mom, and it seems that chick had just dipped its beak a little too far in the water and was sneezing it out. :lol: Just 10 minutes later it was looking completely normal, and they are all looking and acting fine. Sure did give me a scare, though! :p

Back
Top Bottom