Chicks stopped peeping in egg - normal??? Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newchickies, Apr 15, 2009.

1. newchickies

newchickies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Idaho
    My eggs started peeping this morning and continued on through the day, and for the past few hours we haven't heard anything from them. Is this normal? I'm worried that something has happened to them or that they've died..[​IMG]
    Also - how long do they usually "peep" before they start pipping?

Thanks for your help!

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i cant honestly answer this, but im wondering if its taken a break. It can take up to 24 hours from what i heard.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    If it has been awhile, I would candle it quickly to see if it is still moving. It could be just resting. If it has been in the air cell a long time without pipping, I am afraid it might have died. I will keep my [​IMG]

4. newchickies

newchickies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Idaho
    I went ahead and candled really quick and found the one that has been peeping all day. As soon as I picked it up it started peeping at me! Yay!!! [​IMG] I hope the others will start peeping tomorrow too. So far I think it has just been the one chick that's been peeping today.

5. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    They can take really LOONG breaks (or so it seems to us anyways) so sit tight. [​IMG]

6. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    hang in there and sit on your hands sometimes it can take a long time from peep to pip!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by