chicks that are sick HELP IN NEED MORE INPUT. PLEASE READ

Before giving them the antibiotic, you may want to monitor how they are with refreshed conditions.

If they're huddling together, they're usually cold. If they're as far as possible from the heat lamp, they're too hot. If they wander around easily, they're just right.

I've seen a lot of posts about sick chicks - that ended up being a vitamin deficiency ..... something to look into maybe
Otherwise I'm afraid I don't have much of an answer for you. Hope they get well soon !

If you do suspect Paratyphoid you should contact either your county extension office or the state vet. This is a disease that is tested for through NPIP and can cause grave damage to poultry flocks.

If through necropsy it is found to be in your flock it should be taken care of as soon as possible to prevent spread.

I would start making some calls to ya'lls Agriculture Dept. and ask questions. I just noticed your location and I don't know what programs or required testing that happens in Canada.

I would try to rule out the Paratyphoid however as it is a very serious disease. Start by treating for Cocci as it is the most common chick ailment and there is not always blood present in their droppings but it does make the chicks lethargic and they will do all that you describe.

A list of symptoms is just mainly a general description of what can show up and is an aid to diagnose problems.

Sulmet and Corid (Amprolium) are the two most common treatments for Cocci and they can usually be bought at your local feed store. If the chicks do not respond to treatment within a couple of days then you know it could be something else.

yes i am doing that. I was talking to one vet already ..No help there. I called a few more ,now i am waiting a call that knows,,,I just got the phone call. They said it is most likely coming from the eggs because how young they are. They are calling down to a lab and i will be driving these birds down there and a egg to get some testing done. If it is the eggs. That person will be notified asap...I guess i will wait and see. Wish me luck.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this.
Hopefully it will be something that can be treated fairly easily and will not spread to the rest of your birds.
Good luck and please keep us posted.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom